Home
Posted By: Dinny Fixing a B&C sling stud hole - 07/19/20
Yesterday I got a sling stud screw stuck half way into a B&C stock's sling stud hole. Inside the stock is a threaded escutcheon and it broke loose and now rotates when I try to screw the stud screw in or out. Any ideas how to fix it? B&C glued the recoil pad on so I can't access the end of the stock.

Thanks, Dinny

Attached picture IMG_20200719_16147.jpg
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Fixing a B&C sling stud hole - 07/19/20
Have you tried putting outward pressure while turning the screw?
Posted By: Dinny Re: Fixing a B&C sling stud hole - 07/19/20
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Have you tried putting outward pressure while turning the screw?

Yes. It just spins. I even tried that after applying some heat.

Thanks, Dinny
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Fixing a B&C sling stud hole - 07/20/20
Just thinking of an alternative to removing the recoil pad, would it be possible to drill a small hole into the side of the stock and into the escutcheon and use a small punch to hold the escutcheon? An epoxy patch to the hole would not be that difficult to execute.

Good luck on finding a solution.
Posted By: Dinny Re: Fixing a B&C sling stud hole - 07/20/20
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Just thinking of an alternative to removing the recoil pad, would it be possible to drill a small hole into the side of the stock and into the escutcheon and use a small punch to hold the escutcheon? An epoxy patch to the hole would not be that difficult to execute.
Good luck on finding a solution.

A friend made the same suggestion. I may do that if my gunsmith doesn't have any other ideas. I have to get the rifle bedded soon.

Thanks, Dinny
Posted By: pal Re: Fixing a B&C sling stud hole - 07/20/20
Remove the recoil pad and repair it properly.
Originally Posted by pal
Remove the recoil pad and repair it properly.

Got any suggestions on getting the pad off without destroying the stock or pad?

Thanks, Dinny
Should be two screws hidden in the butt pad...
DInny,

B&C has excellent customer service, call them get an RMA and they will get it back to you fast.
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Screwed and glued. Taking the screws out was easy.

Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
DInny,

B&C has excellent customer service, call them get an RMA and they will get it back to you fast.

I'll give them a call today.

Thanks, Dinny
Originally Posted by Dinny
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Screwed and glued. Taking the screws out was easy.

Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
DInny,

I'll give them a call today.

Thanks, Dinny

I cracked a B&C stock and I told them that on the phone. I asked them to fix it or replace it on my dime since it was almost 25 years old. I had a NEW STOCK within a week with a handwritten note from the president of B&C thanking me for my honesty. NO CHARGE.
I got a RMA and it's heading back for repair. They have dealt with heavy handed folks like me before and know how to best repair it.

Thanks, Dinny
Dinny, did you receive your stock back yet? If not pm me your info and I'll track it down to get it out asap. Most everything goes out in a couple of days anyway but since I noticed this post well, figured I'd follow up on it.
No you did not. Just put my hands on the Winchester stock. It is headed to paint shortly. The other is in process as well. Will try and get them out tomorrow.
Posted By: Dinny Re: Fixing a B&C sling stud hole - 07/28/20
Thanks for the update! I'm glad to see you here too.

Thanks, Dinny
Gunner,
What is the paint used on the B&C stocks?
The butt on these b&cat's are hollow... or say not filled?
The buttstock on most B&C stocks do have a hollow void. Average void is 5" long (tapered), 2.5" tall, and .5" to .75" wide. This is a fill area as well as a way to alter the balance on the stock.

The paint used on the primer, color finish, and web are all Polyurethane Enamel.
Posted By: Dinny Re: Fixing a B&C sling stud hole - 08/11/20
B&C took real good care of me. The stock came back better than new and feels real good in my hands.

Thanks, Dinny
Originally Posted by Dinny
B&C took real good care of me. The stock came back better than new and feels real good in my hands.

Thanks, Dinny

Good to hear, I had no doubt they would.
BC makes a real good product!

I have Two of them and enjoy mine!!

CW
Posted By: GeoW Re: Fixing a B&C sling stud hole - 08/23/20
Very impressed by B&C!

g
© 24hourcampfire