Home
...for where I want to spread it out smooth. I don't see that Brownells' has any. Thanks!
Bondo spreaders at your auto parts store. Cut them to sizes you want and when the acraglas dries it pops right off
Does the accragel stick to the bondo spreader when you're applying it? The problem I'm having is getting a smooth surface with the uncured accragel on the stock, so I do less filling and sanding later.
No such thing as something it won't stick to while spreading. Sorry
We used to lay Saran wrap over Bondo while spreading to reduce sanding. Perhaps it will work with Acraglas? Worth a try.
A wet finger does great. If your finger is too dry and the gel sticks, acetone cleans it up nicely. I usually lick my finger but can’t recommend it for safety reasons.
Originally Posted by Kp321
A wet finger does great. If your finger is too dry and the gel sticks, acetone cleans it up nicely. I usually lick my finger but can’t recommend it for safety reasons.

Dip your finger in water .
Just used the Bondo spreaders with epoxy and they worked well. They cleaned up fairly easily with acetone, alcohol, or white vinegar then detergent.

I suppose you could wrap the spreader in Syran wrap for even easier cleaning.
I do a lot of work with thickened epoxy in the course of my work, and in hobby work. I don't worry about re-using applicators except for maybe large messy repeating operations like coating boat hulls and such. For smearing into small cavities I'll take a minute to shave a popsicle stick into a custom applicator and throw it away when done. That or wipe it off with a solvent rag and toss it someplace where I'll have it handy the next time. Or not.

Over the last 25 years or so I've personally consumed a couple 50 gallon drums of epoxy, and applicator ressurection was never foremost in my mind.
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I do a lot of work with thickened epoxy in the course of my work, and in hobby work. I don't worry about re-using applicators except for maybe large messy repeating operations like coating boat hulls and such. For smearing into small cavities I'll take a minute to shave a popsicle stick into a custom applicator and throw it away when done. That or wipe it off with a solvent rag and toss it someplace where I'll have it handy the next time. Or not.

Over the last 25 years or so I've personally consumed a couple 50 gallon drums of epoxy, and applicator ressurection was never foremost in my mind.

If family loved you there would have been at least a couple interventions by now!

wink
It goes down easiest if cut with grain alcohol. Sticks to your ribs. grin
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
It goes down easiest if cut with grain alcohol. Sticks to your ribs. grin

Better taste? Or less filling?
wink
I just used the Bondo scrapers and a new to me product West Systems G-Flex Epoxy to fair out scratched up Kayaks. It is an excellent product and very tough as it retains some flexibility. The Bondo spreaders I think are silicone rubber and cleaned easily with Isopropyl alcohol. white vinegar or acetone and then soap and water.

I think the G-Flex with or with out micro balloons is the way to go to fill and fair a synthetic stock. It would also work for bedding the barrel channel while using something harder for the action.
We used to mix epoxy on a square of teflon, left the coffee stirer in it and when hardened it lifted right off. As a gag we used to set the puddle of epoxy on top of the new guy's toolbox, should've seen their eyes when they walked in next morning, looked like someone had mixed epoxy on top of their prized Gerstner chest.
Originally Posted by gunswizard
We used to mix epoxy on a square of teflon, left the coffee stirer in it and when hardened it lifted right off. As a gag we used to set the puddle of epoxy on top of the new guy's toolbox, should've seen their eyes when they walked in next morning, looked like someone had mixed epoxy on top of their prized Gerstner chest.

Cool story bro!
anything made of flexible silicone - when it dries just flex it and it comes loose - all my mixing containers for fiberglass & epoxy resins are silicone and I reuse them because they are graduated in ounces and ml

Over the last 25 years or so I've personally consumed a couple 50 gallon drums of epoxy, and applicator ressurection was never foremost in my mind.[/quote]

Different applications and methods, but I have used drums per shift. Also used to mix it for
our industrial uses. Up to 5 2400# batches mixed per shift.

That use has nothing in common with bedding or stocks.

But we did pre-preg Kevlar.
For helmets and other ballistic shapes.
How about agate? Brownell's or someone used to offer one and this was their selling point. Accraglas wouldn't stick. Be Well, RZ.
I thought that everybody used "craft" sticks to mix/spread bedding compound.

I mix Acraglas gel on a 4"x4" piece of clean cardboard with a "craft" stick from Hobby Lobby and throw both away when done.
I use 'clean sheet' to mix small batches. Mostly use craft sticks for mixing/spreading. I cut the end square with dikes if I need a flat surface.
Spit works as good as anything when smoothing. Works good with sticky caulking too.

I have a supply of 1, 2 and 3oz graduated cups for mixing bigger batches
© 24hourcampfire