Home
Posted By: Remington40x S&W Model 39-2 Repair - 09/23/20
I'm having issues with my S&W Model 39, which has taken to failing to eject. It's happening with both factory ammo (about 2 per magazine) and handloads (about 4 per magazine). The handloads probably aren't the primary cause, as they are functioning without issue in both my Sig 938 and my S&W 5906, as well as in a friend's Kahr.

Can any of you suggest someone who really does good work on Model 39s? I'd like to get it fixed, as I like it as a lighter weight carry gun when I'm walking in the woods upstate. I thought I had someone lined up, but he's gone radio silent. I'm located in southeastern PA, but don't mind shipping the gun to get it fixed.

Thanks.

Rem
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: S&W Model 39-2 Repair - 09/23/20
Originally Posted by Remington40x
I'm having issues with my S&W Model 39, which has taken to failing to eject. It's happening with both factory ammo (about 2 per magazine) and handloads (about 4 per magazine). The handloads probably aren't the primary cause, as they are functioning without issue in both my Sig 938 and my S&W 5906, as well as in a friend's Kahr.

Can any of you suggest someone who really does good work on Model 39s? I'd like to get it fixed, as I like it as a lighter weight carry gun when I'm walking in the woods upstate. I thought I had someone lined up, but he's gone radio silent. I'm located in southeastern PA, but don't mind shipping the gun to get it fixed.

Thanks.

Rem

Have you thought about checking with S&W?

DF
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: S&W Model 39-2 Repair - 09/23/20
I have a 39-2 sitting on the bench right now with similar issues, plus some others. Completely disassembled and soaked it good with Kroil and could not find an issue. I was looking at all sorts of potentials and head scratching. After sitting there for a while the Kroil seems to have softened whatever it was and it now functions just fine.

I suspect you have something similar creating drag and a good solvent soak would likely fix it...

The tolerances on them are close and more regular, thorough cleaning is a good idea.
Posted By: Remington40x Re: S&W Model 39-2 Repair - 09/23/20
Sitka Deer:

When you say "completely disassembled", do you mean that you removed every screw and pin and put all of the parts in the Kroil? I'm not sure I'm competent to do that, having 10 thumbs.

Rem
Posted By: 358WCF Re: S&W Model 39-2 Repair - 09/23/20
There was a guy a bit north of you in Topton that used to do real nice work. It's been decades, but I see see there's still a business listing.

https://www.bizapedia.com/pa/handgunner-custom-gun-shop-inc.html
Posted By: Remington40x Re: S&W Model 39-2 Repair - 09/23/20
Thanks. I'll give him a call and see what he says.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: S&W Model 39-2 Repair - 09/24/20
Originally Posted by Remington40x
Sitka Deer:

When you say "completely disassembled", do you mean that you removed every screw and pin and put all of the parts in the Kroil? I'm not sure I'm competent to do that, having 10 thumbs.

Rem

Yup, pretty much the whole thing...
© 24hourcampfire