Home
Posted By: clockwork_7mm How bad of an idea... - 10/24/20
...would it be to grind a recoil pad by hand... as in, minus a belt or other power sander? Doable and just more time consuming or a terrible idea?
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: How bad of an idea... - 10/24/20
I have done many with hand tools only. Depends on how much you must take off.
Thanks, Sitka. I've measured the butt stock pretty carefully. They don't really make it easy to determine what pad you need to start with based on measurements, so I'll be printing out templates this evening.

It's a tang safety Ruger, wood stock.
Posted By: mag410 Re: How bad of an idea... - 10/24/20
Don't forget to keep the angle of the toe the same as the stock.

First one I did I scribed a line on the pad, while attached to the stock, and went to sanding. Got it nice and square all around, looked really nice till I screwed it one the stock and the toe of the pad did not follow the line of the stock.

Every time I see a gun with the toe of the pad screwed up, I smile to myself and think "been there done that."

Michael
Thanks, Michael. Handy advice.
Posted By: UncleAlps Re: How bad of an idea... - 10/25/20
Those little battery powered hand held orbital sanders work well. I've done a bunch using the belt sander to get close and the orbital sander to finish. Mine is a Ryobi. Probably cost $20 a long time ago. I've done a few pads with just the orbital sander.

Apply masking tape around the stock a few layers. When you finally hit the tape with the sander you are done.
Posted By: greydog Re: How bad of an idea... - 10/25/20
I suppose one could fit and finish a pad by hand, with no power tools, but it would be an awfully long process. Kind of like mowing the lawn with scissors. GD
© 24hourcampfire