Home
Posted By: EdM Thoughts On Stock Finish - 11/22/20
I picked up this New Haven stock from CDNN some years ago when Winchester moved. I want to proceed and finish it. It is for my 416 Rem. Thoughts appreciated with just leaving it alone vs. darkening it some then finishing. If darkening, what should I use.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: Craigster Re: Thoughts On Stock Finish - 11/22/20
I would use alkanet root.

I second just leaving it alone.
Posted By: Sheister Re: Thoughts On Stock Finish - 11/22/20
I would leave it alone. Darkening it will cover a lot of the gorgeous figure in the stock. Most stock finishes will darken with age and exposure to UV anyway, so you will get your wish eventually anyway...
If your only tool is a hammer the whole World looks like a nail.............
I have used Timberluxe stain on occasions when I've wanted to add some color to lighter wood.
Could just do BLO to accentuate wood then cover with truoil to seal.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Thoughts On Stock Finish - 11/25/20
Duane Wiebe wrote up a detailed description of his stock finishing on Accurate Reloading some years back. Complete with pictures.

He used Daly’s products and alkanet root. His stocks are absolutely beautiful.
Posted By: Tejano Re: Thoughts On Stock Finish - 11/25/20
Alkanet and no other stains. The alkanet will make that grain pop. It has improved several stocks up another grade level, even relatively plain factory stocks.

Use it in a fairly dilute oil turpentine solution and go for 3-6 light coats that are wiped off after about 30 minutes. I use food grade flax oil which has all the oils and waxes still in it. It takes forever to dry but this allows it to go into the pores of the wood better. What ever finish that goes over it will have driers in it that will harden up the flax oil.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Thoughts On Stock Finish - 11/25/20
I too vote to leave it alone.
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm_gator
Could just do BLO to accentuate wood then cover with truoil to seal.

There is NO single better way to prove cluelessness than to post the use of BLO.
© 24hourcampfire