Home
How have y'all added weight and what did you use? I'm thinking about boring the butt of a FWT to add some weight for bench shooting... thoughts/advice?
I used to shoot an M1A in competition. With a bull barrel the rifle was very muzzle heavy. To remedy this I poured molten lead into short pieces of electrical conduit to make cylinders that fit into the cleaning rod cuts in the buttstock. You would have to drill a hole to fit the cylinder in a wooden stocked rifle. By doing it this way, you can adjust the weight to match your needs.
I added backstop scrap lead bullets and silicone bathtub seal (the duct tape of caulk) to the front of a synthetic T/C Encore buttstock for extra weight (460 S&W recoil reduction) - cheap and easy. The combination has stayed in place there AOK.
Lead bird shot is easy to work with and can be set in epoxy either in place or in a piece of tubing or conduit as fish did. Test it before making it permanent.
I used lead shot.

Once I found the correct amount in the correct place I mixed the shot with epoxy.
Thanks guys. Is it better for the structural integrity of the stock to drill long and skinny or shallow and wide to fill in with lead?
I mixed the lead shot with paraffin. Melt, mix and pour. Easier to remove if necessary for adjustment later.
Originally Posted by Bob338
I mixed the lead shot with paraffin. Melt, mix and pour. Easier to remove if necessary for adjustment later.

GREAT IDEA!!!
Leaving the shot loose, either in a tube or not, will do more to tame recoil...
I've used mercury recoil reducers in the forearm under the barrel or in the buttstock, depending on the rifle.

works fine.

MM
© 24hourcampfire