Home
Posted By: brittguy16 Shifting Point of Impact - 03/06/21
I have a Ruger Hawkeye II that shifts point of impact rather dramatically (5 inches if I’m not smoking something) as ambient temperature changes from say 80F to 20F (or vice versa). Anyone else had similar problems? And how did you fix it?? Shots are high in cold temps when you’d expect velocities to be down.
Sounds like a bedding problem.
At what range?

Slower velocities can shoot higher because the bullet takes more time during recoil to exit the barrel as it's rising during recoil.

I believe you're not smoking, but are you snorting anything?
The one time I had a severe bedding issue. The shots would walk from center bellseye to two o'clock. Each shot rising higher to the right as the barrel heated up.

My stock was warped, and pressing on the barrel in one direction. Some careful inspection should reveal such a flaw without too much trouble. I'm not a gunsmith, and was trouble shooting without much knowledge or any experience when I figured out the problem.

The other culprit could be scope or sight related. Five inches is a lot for the same ammo.
Its a bedding and pressure on the barrel problem... I'd also check the mag box and make sure it's not binding or torqueing the action. The mag box should not be tight between the floor plate and the bottom of the action...
Posted By: 79S Re: Shifting Point of Impact - 03/07/21
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Its a bedding and pressure on the barrel problem... I'd also check the mag box and make sure it's not binding or torqueing the action. The mag box should not be tight between the floor plate and the bottom of the action...

I had a mag box binding up on me. I was about to chuck the rifle into the tree line. Went home took a belt sander to the mag box, went back to the range problem of wandering/shifting point of impact solved.
Posted By: keith Re: Shifting Point of Impact - 03/12/21
Rugers do not like the center screw to be real tight, they should be almost loose.

Magazine box should "Float" between the action and the floor plate where you can drop the magazine box and wiggle the mag box with your finger, This is a BIG secret on getting rugers to shoot extremely well.

There is also an issue with the load that you are shooting where you could be loosing a LOT of velocity when it gets extremely cold, as previously mentioned.

Start at the start, Bed the rifle, give a good freefloat on the barrel, not a dollar bill thickness float, a business card at least.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Shifting Point of Impact - 03/12/21
What powder are you using? If sensitive to temperature change, change the powder.
© 24hourcampfire