Home
Posted By: Bugger new trigger for Ruger - 03/09/21
I recently bought a Ruger 77 Mark II. The trigger was 5.5lb and lots of creep and lots of over-travel. I clipped the trigger return spring and got it to 4.5lb with lots of creep and lots of over-travel..
That is where it is right now.
I've looked at Brownell's products they have for sale, a Timney and a Basix It appeared to me that the Basix is the better buy - easier to install and easier to adjust.
What have you guys done/recommend with 77 Mark II triggers?
Posted By: noKnees Re: new trigger for Ruger - 03/09/21
I have always used Timneys on MkII/Hawkeyes, its not a big deal to install, maybe 15-20 minutes. just file-test fit and repeat until it goes. Its a nice trigger once installed.
Posted By: 1minute Re: new trigger for Ruger - 03/10/21
I've found the Ruger 77 triggers a piece of cake to rectify. Spring work and a little stoning with a fine grade oil stone. Lots of video and instructions on line.
Posted By: cbvh1130 Re: new trigger for Ruger - 04/01/21
I own several M77’s. One had a Timney trigger in it when I bought it. I like it. I will probably replace the trigger In 2 of my others. I would like to know more about the basix. I will be following.
Posted By: Fury01 Re: new trigger for Ruger - 04/02/21
I too modify the Ruger trigger. Lighter spring and just a touch of stone.
http://erniethegunsmith.com/catalog/i29.html for product and instructions.
Posted By: Schmidtx2 Re: new trigger for Ruger - 04/02/21
The timney is a pain in the ass on the mk11. The tangers aren't bad at all. You need to remove quite a bit of steel on the 3 position safety to get it functioning.
Posted By: RifleDude Re: new trigger for Ruger - 04/04/21
Originally Posted by Schmidtx2
The timney is a pain in the ass on the mk11. The tangers aren't bad at all. You need to remove quite a bit of steel on the 3 position safety to get it functioning.

Hmmm... I've installed Timneys in both MKIIs and tang safety M77s and thought just the opposite. Yes, you need to remove material on the 3 position safety, but it doesn't take that long and it's a simple process with a file and maybe 10 min of fitting. There's no way around the fact that some fitting is required due to the Ruger safety design and the fact it's a cast part with a fair amount of dimensional variation. The Timney trigger for the tang safety has a safety transfer bar that protrudes out the left side of the trigger further than the stock Ruger trigger, requiring a fairly significant amount of material be removed from the left side of the tang inletting in the stock to provide clearance.
Posted By: Butler247 Re: new trigger for Ruger - 05/04/21
Save you money and try this. Easy. Spend your money on a hunt or ammo.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by 1minute
I've found the Ruger 77 triggers a piece of cake to rectify. Spring work and a little stoning with a fine grade oil stone. Lots of video and instructions on line.

That's what I do too. Very easy to get them safely down to 2.5 pounds. Be careful with the drawing above that butler247 posted. I generally don't remove as much material from the sear. I like a little more engagement for safety reasons. Go slow and check often if you decide to grind/hone your factory M77 trigger. Good luck with it.
Posted By: GF1 Re: new trigger for Ruger - 05/05/21
I have done several as well, including a M77 MkII Express .338. Bsa1917hunter’s counsel is good. I’ve only gone too far once, then installed a Timney. And that’s the worst; not too bad at all, given that most have been a crisp and quite safe 3#.
I have Timneys in a couple, and I've just replaced the spring on others with good results
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: new trigger for Ruger - 05/05/21
Originally Posted by Bugger
I recently bought a Ruger 77 Mark II. The trigger was 5.5lb and lots of creep and lots of over-travel. I clipped the trigger return spring and got it to 4.5lb with lots of creep and lots of over-travel..
That is where it is right now.
I've looked at Brownell's products they have for sale, a Timney and a Basix It appeared to me that the Basix is the better buy - easier to install and easier to adjust.
What have you guys done/recommend with 77 Mark II triggers?

Agree with Basix. Easier to set up and the price is better. And, I'm generally a Timney fan.

DF
The ruger can be fantastic in 20 minutes and a little stoning.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: new trigger for Ruger - 05/06/21
I was able to do a good trigger job using original factory parts. But, the Basix set up is definitely better. The way their trigger spring is designed allowing for sensitive changes in pull weight is truly innovative. I couldn't reproduce that even with spring replacement, honing parts, etc.

DF
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: new trigger for Ruger - 05/06/21
Originally Posted by Butler247

That's what I used. You gotta be careful taking that much angle off the trigger part, as you can end up with creep. So, if you're using that schematic, go slow and go easy. Don't start off with the specs shown there. It's probably too much.

Even with a softer spring, you can feel over travel. But that can be corrected with an epoxy knob on the forward part of the trigger, trimmed to allow the sear to clear without excessive over travel. The Basix doesn't need the over travel stop the way it's set up. Once the sear is released, you don't feel over travel, even though there is no trigger stop per se.

I've not messed with the Timney because of the way a cut is required for the safety. I've seen one Timney for a Ruger completely messed up by someone who didn't know what he was doing. The Basix with its innovative eccentric safety engagement screw is really fast, easy to adjust and it works. No critical cut is required. It's hard to mess up the Basix, no so with the Timney. I did put a drop of Loctite on the safety screw lock nut.

Good luck with factory parts. Go easy and you may end up with what you're looking for. If not, go with the Basix.

DF
Posted By: AU338MAG Re: new trigger for Ruger - 05/07/21
Originally Posted by Schmidtx2

This was my experience when I installed a Timney on my Hawkeye 257 Roberts. The Timney spring was too light so I used the original spring.

But after all that work it is a fantastic trigger.
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I have Timneys in a couple, and I've just replaced the spring on others with good results

On the newer LC6 trigger, that is all that is needed sometimes, but with the older m77 mkII rifles, I've never had one that was livable with just a spring replacement. Careful honing, polishing and lighter spring always yields a safe 2.5 pound pull on all of my rifles. Never needed a Timney in any of my MKII's. In my m1917's, hell yes. Timney makes great triggers, but the mkII doesn't need them.
Posted By: jlink280 Re: new trigger for Ruger - 05/07/21
I am a big fan of the rifle basix trigger i've installed 2, one in my Compact MKII 260 and one in my M77/22 hornet. Shooting became much more enjoyable
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Butler247

That's what I used. You gotta be careful taking that much angle off the trigger part, as you can end up with creep. So, if you're using that schematic, go slow and go easy. Don't start off with the specs shown there. It's probably too much.

Even with a softer spring, you can feel over travel. But that can be corrected with an epoxy knob on the forward part of the trigger, trimmed to allow the sear to clear without excessive over travel. The Basix doesn't need the over travel stop the way it's set up. Once the sear is released, you don't feel over travel, even though there is no trigger stop per se.

I've not messed with the Timney because of the way a cut is required for the safety. I've seen one Timney for a Ruger completely messed up by someone who didn't know what he was doing. The Basix with its innovative eccentric safety engagement screw is really fast, easy to adjust and it works. No critical cut is required. It's hard to mess up the Basix, no so with the Timney. I did put a drop of Loctite on the safety screw lock nut.

Good luck with factory parts. Go easy and you may end up with what you're looking for. If not, go with the Basix.

DF

Good advice.
© 24hourcampfire