Home
Posted By: nathanial A good rasp. - 03/11/21
Had seen these Shinto rasps over the years, finally picked one up at a Woodcraft store. Really takes down wood fast and does not plug up at all. $32
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Craigster Re: A good rasp. - 03/11/21
been using one 3-4 years now. great tool.
Posted By: Sheister Re: A good rasp. - 03/11/21
Wow, that looks like a really aggressive rasp. Not sure I could trust myself with one of those.... wink

I've always like the Nicholson 4 way rasps so I can change from coarse to fine and back as I go along to check progress as I need to, but one of these might be on my list now....

Bob
Posted By: nathanial Re: A good rasp. - 03/11/21
This rasp has a course and fine side. The fine side is not aggressive at all.
Posted By: Mauser06 Re: A good rasp. - 03/11/21
Will have to try one. What kind of surface do they leave??

I have been using Iwaskis. They work very well and leave a smooth finish on the hard maple I stock from. Smooth enough I go right to cabinet scrapers and onto finishing.
Posted By: DocEd Re: A good rasp. - 03/11/21
"This rasp has a course and fine side."

What Course? South by Southwest?
Posted By: scoony Re: A good rasp. - 03/13/21
I have been using one of those for years in furniture making. They work great.
Posted By: Cabriolet Re: A good rasp. - 03/15/21
Ordering one now. Looks better than the wood rasps I have been using.

Thanks for the tip.
Posted By: damnesia Re: A good rasp. - 03/16/21
Shinto rasps are awesome. Ive been using them for about 5 years. I wish they made them that have a "curved" face.
Posted By: gunscrew Re: A good rasp. - 03/16/21
got a shinto about 6 months ago, wish I had got one 20 years ago.
Posted By: 1minute Re: A good rasp. - 03/16/21
Looks to be a good aggressive implement. $$$?
Posted By: Utahunter Re: A good rasp. - 03/16/21
I've used one for several years to rough shape the laminated longbows i build. They are awesome.
Posted By: Craigster Re: A good rasp. - 03/17/21
Originally Posted by 1minute
Looks to be a good aggressive implement. $$$?

$ 30 +/-
Posted By: Epochelyptikal Re: A good rasp. - 03/18/21
I was gifted one of these a few years ago by my wood working father who obviously knows better than me, and was tired of my poor substitutes when he visited for family work days. These are the bees knees.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: A good rasp. - 05/15/21
Looks like an awesome tool. Ordered. Thanks for sharing.

Posted By: kk alaska Re: A good rasp. - 05/15/21
Please post link where to order
Posted By: LouisB Re: A good rasp. - 05/15/21
Looks like a search for Shinto Rasp or Woodcraft store in DuckDuckgo.com is the way to go.

AND

UNLIKE those other guys, DuckDuckGO.com does not spy on your searches.
Posted By: Fishoot Re: A good rasp. - 05/17/21
I heartily agree on the quality of this tool! It removes wood quickly with the coarse side and more carefully with the fine side. I am pleased I found out about this. If you are in doubt, buy it. It will erase your doubts with first use. I bought mine on-line, probably from Amazon.
Posted By: greydog Re: A good rasp. - 05/18/21
I saw this thread and ordered one right away. I don't have a stock to make right now but look forward to it. Filed on a piece of Myrtlewood a bit and it looks like it will work well. GD
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: A good rasp. - 05/18/21
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Please post link where to order

I ordered mine direct from Japan! Rollin' the Ebay dice.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: A good rasp. - 05/18/21
Most were $23 to $27 to ship finally found some on Amazon prime free shipping.
Posted By: downwindtracker2 Re: A good rasp. - 05/19/21
Lee Valley has had those saw blade rasps for a long time.They also have a stainless steel cheese grater like the old Stanley Surform . It dulls off too fast, not recommended for wood.
Posted By: TenX Re: A good rasp. - 05/19/21
Hard to beat a Nicholson No. 49.
Phil
Posted By: downwindtracker2 Re: A good rasp. - 05/19/21
I have slightly finer #50, It has it's place when I'm close to finish size. But for hogging to a rough shape,a coarse rasp gets there faster. I use spokshave, a woodworking burr in a die grinder, metal working burr sometimes too. I use smaller woodworking burrs in a Foredom..

These work great https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/tools/power-tool-accessories/burrs/69808-typhoon-carving-burrs
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: A good rasp. - 05/21/21
The linked Typhoon burrs look interesting. Thanks for the heads up.
Posted By: MrCrumbz Re: A good rasp. - 06/01/21
Wow, how have I never heard of Shinto brand rasps before? Got one in my shopping cart now, looking forward to trying it out!
Posted By: TenX Re: A good rasp. - 06/01/21
A friend of mine who stocks guns for a living had one someone gave him. I asked how he liked it, he said it worked well for a little while but became dull far sooner than it should have. So I guess if you don't use one all that much, you might like it.
Phil
Posted By: downwindtracker2 Re: A good rasp. - 06/03/21
Remember the Stanley Surform ? I built a cedar strip canoe, the mold are stations on 1' centers. They work better when fair. So I shaped the edges of the plywood. One pass of the later stainless steel version and it was dull. The Surform lasted two passes. I resorted to a spokeshave and sharpened frequently, but not after just two passes. A disc sander would have worked, but I believe in making small mistakes slowly.
© 24hourcampfire