Home
I may or may not do this, but am wondering if there is anything that needs to be done to the bolt of a rifle in 30-06 when changing to 9.3x62 , if anything. The reason I ask is the 30-06 has a .473 rim size and the 9.3 has a .470 rebated rim., and a slightly larger body than the 30-06. This would be on a pre64 action.
Nothing was done to the bolt face on my FN Mauser
Easy. Just swap the 30-06 out for the 9.3 barrel and you are done
A pre-64 9.3 would be sweet, do it!
Great idea! As an alternative, you could have the original barrel rebored. JES does a fabulous job and has done 3 for me including a 9.3x62 on a Mark X action.
Shoots good to!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
The barrel is a fwt and looks like it would get pretty thin. I have thought of it though.
I sent a Stainless Mod70 25-06 to Douglas, three weeks later it returned to me a straight shooting 9.3x62. No bolt mods required for 06 family cartridges. I asked for a #4 contour with a slightly smaller shank diameter to fit a Mcmillan Edge. Thank you Stan. It weights right under 8lbs with a Leupold 1-4X in DD mounts. It makes a nice rough country bear rifle.
How about a Forbes 9.3x62 JES rebore! Not to excited about the 16" barrel but otherwise sweet!

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...s-rifles/forbes-24b.cfm?gun_id=101607779
I think that a 70 Fwt barrel would be too small a diameter to do a 30-06 to 9.3x62.

My 9.3x62 is an Interarms Mark X with a Lothar Walther barrel that was trimmed to fit the mannlicher-style stock. It shoots good groups and the recoil is noticeably less than the 375 H&H.
Originally Posted by tkinak
How about a Forbes 9.3x62 JES rebore! Not to excited about the 16" barrel but otherwise sweet!

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...s-rifles/forbes-24b.cfm?gun_id=101607779

A little out of the budget currently.
As always check for feed and function. Otherwise GTG.
Thanks All
I vote rebarrel also if you have to.
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
I vote rebarrel also if you have to.

Yes. That sounds like the way to go.
Call JES. You bbl might work. If so, remove the 30-06 markings so he has a clean spot to mark it.
Pre 64 FWs are notoriously inaccurate due to their thin barrels flopping in the channel. Given it's a FW, re-barrel. wink
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Pre 64 FWs are notoriously inaccurate due to their thin barrels flopping in the channel. Given it's a FW, re-barrel. wink

This one too until I shimmed it with plastic bread bag clips. Shoots pretty decently now.
I e been using Douglas barrels and they are more barrel than I am shooter for certain.
I have a Douglas in .358 Win on a Win M88. Not a tack driver, but it seems no matter what I shoot through it it goes right around an inch. Mod. 88 trigger is probably one reason it doesn't do better.
I’m having my Win Model 70 Extreme Weather (30-06) rebarrelled to 9.3x62. I tested it with some 9.3x62mm cartridges before I purchased my barrel and it feeds them just dandy. Shouldn’t require any extra work other than chambering the barrel blank and getting it spun on.
Always a good idea to have it all gone over thoroughly for feed and function by a qualified gunsmith I believe. It might afterall be called upon to save your life in the country you inhabit.
Yeah, especially with Mr. Griz moving in.
Originally Posted by MrCrumbz
I’m having my Win Model 70 Extreme Weather (30-06) rebarrelled to 9.3x62. I tested it with some 9.3x62mm cartridges before I purchased my barrel and it feeds them just dandy. Shouldn’t require any extra work other than chambering the barrel blank and getting it spun on.

Who or what lash-up will rebarrel your rifle? I'm having a tough time finding someone or some company to rebarrel a 308 Norma to a 338.
An easy way to stretch your 30-06 is with some Nosler Partition 220 grain .308 bullets. Nosler shows 2600 fps with RE22. That's some serious power right there.
© 24hourcampfire