Home
Posted By: Jericho Rechamber and rebore question? - 08/19/21
i seem to be stumbling across a fair amount of used hunting rifles lately, and some of them sure are different or unique. Have any of you heard of rechambering and reboring a bolt action rifle? I have seen tons of rechambered rifles, but only a couple of rebored rifles. It would have to be a labor of love to perform both and to make sure that it fed and functioned normally. Any input?
Originally Posted by Jericho
i seem to be stumbling across a fair amount of used hunting rifles lately, and some of them sure are different or unique. Have any of you heard of rechambering and reboring a bolt action rifle? I have seen tons of rechambered rifles, but only a couple of rebored rifles. It would have to be a labor of love to perform both and to make sure that it fed and functioned normally. Any input?

Yes, no, maybe.

Turning a Sako Vixen into a 378 Weatherby would be expensive. Turning a 30/06 into a 35 Whelen, not so much.
pre64 M70 in 220 Swift to 25-06?
Yes it’s pretty common practice
I had cliff labounty bore out a shot out 7 rem to 30
308 Norma mag now
Lever guns can easily be rebooted from sa 25-20 to 32-20 ect
I had a 22-250 bumped to 7-08. Win CRF
I've had a Rem 721 30-06 rebored to 35 Whelen, works great. With bolt action the big thing is being sure that he cartridge your going to will feed from the mag.
I have the chance to buy a Remington 700SPS youth model in 243 for a good price and thought about sending it to JES and converted to 358
I've had three rebores done. One of them was a M700 ADL that went from .243 to .358 Win. All were by Al Siegrist up in Michigan, but it's been a long time. I was perfectly happy with them. One thing that's not mentioned much in these threads is that you will lose about an inch of barrel length.
wow, thanks for the barrel length tip shortleade, the 700SPS that i mentioned has a 20 inch barrel i believe
Posted By: 79S Re: Rechamber and rebore question? - 08/29/21
Originally Posted by shortleade
I've had three rebores done. One of them was a M700 ADL that went from .243 to .358 Win. All were by Al Siegrist up in Michigan, but it's been a long time. I was perfectly happy with them. One thing that's not mentioned much in these threads is that you will lose about an inch of barrel length.

Huh? How do you lose an inch? You have my attention..
© 24hourcampfire