Home
Posted By: Exchipy Smarter Arms 44 Bulldog - 09/02/21
My Charter Arms .44 Bulldog originally looked like the bore interior had been sandblasted as a final finishing touch, and the rifling was shallower on one side than the other. So, I cut down a discarded S&W 696 barrel, installed it and re-contoured the frame some to match:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You’ve heard of a “Smolt,” with a Python barrel installed on a Smith & Wesson K-frame, right? Well then, this must be a “Smarter Arms.”

The configuration was inspired by my great grandfather’s H&R American D.A. .44 Webley:

… which had been behind the bar of his Silver Dollar Wine Room in San Francisco during the 1906 earthquake and fire:

Check out those silver dollars embedded in the floor tiles. That’s him behind the bar on the left, with the beard and wearing the Fez.

Posted By: 5thShock Re: Smarter Arms 44 Bulldog - 09/05/21
Most interesting. That bar sure looks like the place to just stand up and knock them back. When did barstools come around? How does the little beastie shoot?
Posted By: Exchipy Re: Smarter Arms 44 Bulldog - 09/05/21
Well, the Smarter Arms .44 shoots a bit high; the front sight used to be on a Blackhawk. I’ll need to make a taller front sight or use lighter cast bullets. It’s also not as easy to shoot well compared to the S&W 696 which donated the barrel:

I had S&W replace the barrel due to a forcing cone problem, which left the old barrel available to go on the Bulldog.

Posted By: 5thShock Re: Smarter Arms 44 Bulldog - 09/08/21
" It’s also not as easy to shoot well compared to the S&W 696..."

Yeah, but it's got a low down badmax metal thing going on.
© 24hourcampfire