Home
I’ve got a Ruger 44 special five shot. The cylinder is not fluted. Any recommendations for a gunsmith who can do the work?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I would think it's not fluted for a reason. Stronger cylinder walls for one.( I know that doesn't answer your question)
It’s your gun and choice, but I think they look ok unfluted.
With a 44 special I don’t think strength is too much of an issue. Look at S&W 44 mag cylinders. I think with Ruger it’s more to do with price point cost cutting.
Call Cylinder and Slide in Fremont Nebraska.

1-800-448-1713
Shows how my old brain works……
I hadn’t thought about them in years…..
I bet Dave Clements would do it it too.
What’s Dave’s contact information?
Originally Posted by John_Boy
What’s Dave’s contact information?

Here ya go:

http://www.clementscustomguns.com/
If you check Clement's website he's not accepting any new work until the end of the year and then only working part time.
Clement doesn’t work on GP100’s…….
His own words…..
Clement doesn’t work on GP100’s…….
His own words…..

Wow. He’s worked on several of my Redhawks and Blackhawks.
I do not flute or chamfer those.
David

Most of his prices revolved around single action work….

Yes, the pun was intended….🙈
Originally Posted by leemar28
I would think it's not fluted for a reason. Stronger cylinder walls for one.( I know that doesn't answer your question)

I agree!
Better sell your fluted barrel rifles…..

Why?

The thickness on the outer edge, between the chambers, isn't adding
strength. The thinnest spot will be the weakest.
That's going to be between the holes, or the hole and the outside
edge. If the eluting doesn't cause a thinner spot, no change.

Look at some other 44 specials.
Taurus used to make one on a K or L frame sized gun.
It was very thin.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
I bet Dave Clements would do it it too.

Maybe as he is retiring.

Wrong.
You might convince Alan Harton (Single Action Services) in Houston to do it but is also slowing down with accepting work. He is as good as it gets.
My thoughts as I read this thread with hearing about the number of good gunsmiths that are retiring is I hope there some new blood coming into the profession. That is all. Dave
John Boy.... Are rifle barrels fluted including the chamber or just the exterior of the bore ?
Dillon Buck,. I believe the metal bridging between cylinders does increase strength. Like the back strap on a revolver vs the open top of say a Navy 51.
It doesn't need to be a gunsmith to flute the cylinders. A good machinest with a mill and a ball end mill could do it..
Jmho......
Rifle flutes aren’t over the chamber, that is true. However, the pressure in the barrel until bullet exit is a wee bit more than a 44 special. I’m not talking about a 454 Caull, or 500 S&W. Just a lowly 44 Special.
Cylinder and Slide said they won’t do it. It takes special machinery. Their words, not mine…….
Rifle flutes aren’t over the chamber, that is true. However, the pressure in the barrel until bullet exit is a wee bit more than a 44 special. I’m not talking about a 454 Caull, or 500 S&W. Just a lowly 44 Special.
Cylinder and Slide said they won’t do it. It takes special machinery. Their words, not mine…….

All it would take is a 4-axis cnc mill and a ball endmill or a 3-axis mill with a way to manually index the cylinder. Problem is that it would be cost prohibitive though your looking at less than an hour run time.
So in other words it’s more work for them than it’s worth. I can see than. I had planned to chamfer the cylinder black powder style.
It's not a lot of work, it's the rate a machine shop charges between programming and time on a machine.

You might try contacting Chad and see if he might be able to accommodate you. Chad Dixon
I have seen Alan Harton flute a cylinder on his Bridgeport in very little time using the fixture he made.
I’ll be contacting both of these gentlemen today.
If I only hadn’t sold my triple lock years ago….
John Boy.... Are rifle barrels fluted including the chamber or just the exterior of the bore ?
Dillon Buck,. I believe the metal bridging between cylinders does increase strength. Like the back strap on a revolver vs the open top of say a Navy 51.
It doesn't need to be a gunsmith to flute the cylinders. A good machinest with a mill and a ball end mill could do it..
Jmho......

leemar28,
A chain is no stronger than the weakest link.
A cylinder is going to blow where it's thinnest. (Barring a metal problem)

The exact reason for doing 5 shot conversions on Blackhawks intended
for very high pressure 45 colt loads. And the reason for Freedom Arms
guns being 5 shot. The bolt cut lines up with the thinner part of the cylinder
on a 6 shot. Creating a weak spot.

As before, if fluting does not create a thinner spot than the outer edge of the
cylinder the weak spot will still be the outer edge. Especially on a 6 shot.

Inclination is to think more material equates to strength.
But this is where enginerds shine.
With the right materials in the right places, you build good strength.
Beyond that, you just waste material, adding bulk and weight.
Exactly…..

Just shipped the GP100 cylinder to Alan Horton: Singlr Action Service in Houston Texas……
Just shipped the GP100 cylinder to Alan Horton: Singlr Action Service in Houston Texas……

Great choice and I am glad to read that he is still accepting work. I have a number of revolvers he has built for me. The man is a Master and as nice a gentleman that you could ever meet. Here's an example of his bevel on my OM 44 Mag Bisley.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And another on my OM 44 Special.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
That's a long search - hope it comes out nice for you.
It’s done thanks to Alan Harton in Houston….
I’ll post pictures when she’s reassembled….

Looks good. I am glad Alan was able to help.
Great job at a fair price…..
Dying to get it back.
© 24hourcampfire