Home
According to my wife, that's normal but anyway.

Bought a Rem 700 and tore it down to bed in another stock. It had a non-adjustable trigger on it so I purchased an older Rem trigger than can be adjusted. While fooling around with reassembly, I moved the safety to safe but didn't think much of it. Now I have the worlds safety rifle, it won't come off safe. Bolt operates and released fine. Haven't pulled it apart yet but wanted an idea on what to do beforehand. Couldn't find anything on this specifically on the web.
Did you drive the cross pin in too deep and hit the safety lever?
The cross pin, front or back don't interfer with the safety lever. What cross pin?
Might be bound up against the stock. Remove it and see if it functions out of the stock. If it still doesn’t functions it’s easy to disassemble the assembly and see if anything is bent or out of place. They are pretty simple.
Also if it’s an older trigger it could have a safety lever that is bolt locking and your rifle/action might not be cut for that. That’s an easy fix also.
Yep, tried it out of the stock and it still didn't work. Didn't get it torn apart today but plan to tomorrow. Bolt cycles fine.
Thx
Originally Posted by Jkob
The cross pin, front or back don't interfer with the safety lever. What cross pin?

The front and rear pin is what I was calling the cross pin.
I don't think the Rem 700 was ever made without an adjustable trigger. The 721 before that had an adjustable trigger also.
I think whatever is happening is human error. Possibly one of the two pins has been installed incorrectly, or the little spring in the front is missing or out of place.
Good luck!
I have rebarrelled, restocked, and re triggered Rem700s to
(3) 7mmRM
(2) 6.5-06
(2) 6mmBR
(1) 7mmSTW
(1) 250 Sav

My brother, who can do great gunsmithing, has Rem700s in original condition
(1) 30-06
(1) 7mmRM

I think he should take off his Rem700 triggers and throw them away, but he consistently gets elk, while I have never got an elk.
Originally Posted by Clarkm
I have rebarrelled, restocked, and re triggered Rem700s to
(3) 7mmRM
(2) 6.5-06
(2) 6mmBR
(1) 7mmSTW
(1) 250 Sav

My brother, who can do great gunsmithing, has Rem700s in original condition
(1) 30-06
(1) 7mmRM

I think he should take off his Rem700 triggers and throw them away, but he consistently gets elk, while I have never got an elk.

Caliber has NOTHING to do with the operation of a trigger group.

Being smarter than the equipment that you are operating.....does.
So it looks like the problem was I needed to lean on it a little more than I was. It's working now but needs adjusted. Any other time I lean on something and stuff breaks so I was taking it easy.
© 24hourcampfire