Home
Posted By: sqweeler Mauser ejection help - 04/23/22
My custom 300 Apex Mauser need's help.Empty or fired brass hits the ejector and just flop's back on to the follower, but flings loaded or bulleted dummy rounds 6 feet across the room.Help appreciated. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: TheKid Re: Mauser ejection help - 04/23/22
Extractor tension. You likely don’t have enough
Posted By: sqweeler Re: Mauser ejection help - 04/23/22
How does one correctly increase tension?
Posted By: Redneck Re: Mauser ejection help - 04/23/22
Originally Posted by TheKid
Extractor tension. You likely don’t have enough
BOOM!
Posted By: Redneck Re: Mauser ejection help - 04/23/22
Originally Posted by sqweeler
How does one correctly increase tension?
Gently bend the tail to increase pressure..
Posted By: sqweeler Re: Mauser ejection help - 04/23/22
Thanks I'll give it a shot.
Posted By: sqweeler Re: Mauser ejection help - 04/24/22
Bent the tail gently(twice). No change.It will throw a bulleted round time after time 4 feet. An empty case at best will make it half way out then bounce back in and lay on the follower. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: z1r Re: Mauser ejection help - 04/24/22
Show a pic of the boltface & ejector. Too little or too much claw contact with affect ejection. How much extractor deflection is there when you slip a cartridge rim under the extractor claw?
Posted By: blanket Re: Mauser ejection help - 04/24/22
Pull the bolt back like you mean it , or replace the extractor with one that has not been beveled to snap over the rim
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Mauser ejection help - 04/24/22
There were also 2 styles of ejectors, one has a round pivot hole, and one has an elongated hole...you might try swapping. They are pretty cheap on ebay.
Look's a little blunt on the underside.Baffled why it ejects loaded rounds and not empty's. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: z1r Re: Mauser ejection help - 04/24/22
Loaded rounds have more momentum due to the extra weight so they continue to swing out. Empty cases don't so the sit. This is often a sign that you have too much extractor tension. Check how much defelction you have when you insert a case under the extractor claw.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Mauser ejection help - 04/24/22
Here's one other thing to check (something I've found in similar situations). Remove the scope - then try again... I've had several instances of EMPTY cases hitting the RH scope adjustment knob at just the right angle which dislodges it and drops it back onto the follower... Maybe this is not the case here, but it's one way to eliminate a possibility..
Thanks for the help. I'll get another extractor,done messing with it.Anyone make new one's?
Posted By: tomme boy Re: Mauser ejection help - 04/26/22
Brownells used to. You have to fit the extractor though. When I had this problem with converted mausers I built it was those 2 knubs were not tight enough to hold the case head against the extractor and them. Then the shell would fall out of the bolt. No amount of tuning the extractor would help.
Posted By: z1r Re: Mauser ejection help - 04/28/22
Originally Posted by tomme boy
Brownells used to. You have to fit the extractor though. When I had this problem with converted mausers I built it was those 2 knubs were not tight enough to hold the case head against the extractor and them. Then the shell would fall out of the bolt. No amount of tuning the extractor would help.

It's not the two nubs, it's the extractor claw. If the claw isn't correctly fitted, the feeding, extraction, and or ejection can be adverversely affected. That's why I said measure the extractor deflection. Replacing the extractor may or may not fix the issue and may ultimately need to be fitted to properly work. My guess is that there is too much tension. This is likely why loaded rounds will be thrown free while empties struggle to come off the extractor. But what do I know?

How does it feed? Often, in an effort to overcome improper mag box geometry, the extractor claw can be shortened too much so as to allow the rim to slip underneath. This too can cause the case to not be thrown free. Measuring your extractor deflection will tell you whether your extractor has too little or too much tension so you know what countermeasures to employ.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Mauser ejection help - 04/28/22
With the exception of the last image, nice job on the pics.
Posted By: sqweeler Re: Mauser ejection help - 04/28/22
The claw is not holding the shell.The claw is worn and most likely too short because no matter how much tension on the tail I can't get it to grip the shell.How much shorter would the claw have to be with a new extractor for the magnum boltface approx.?
Posted By: Redneck Re: Mauser ejection help - 04/29/22
The claw is not holding the shell.The claw is worn and most likely too short because no matter how much tension on the tail I can't get it to grip the shell.How much shorter would the claw have to be with a new extractor for the magnum boltface approx.?
What you're describing makes me think that what you have right now is a 'standard' extractor - and not the magnum version...
Posted By: z1r Re: Mauser ejection help - 04/29/22
Originally Posted by Redneck
What you're describing makes me think that what you have right now is a 'standard' extractor - and not the magnum version...

The exact opposite would be true if he had a standard extractor, the claw would be too long. The claw on a magnum extractor is shorter due to the rim being larger than on a standard. .532" vs .470".
Posted By: sqweeler Re: Mauser ejection help - 04/29/22
So if I slowly followed the same contour as the standard claw until it snugly held the magnum case......?? Should I check tension on the ejector spring.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Mauser ejection help - 04/30/22
My bad - you. are right.
Posted By: sqweeler Re: Mauser ejection help - 05/01/22
New extractor.Hold's the case nicely.Case make's it out halfway then falls back in on the follower.Maybe ejector a few thou too short?Ordered one. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Redneck Re: Mauser ejection help - 05/01/22
Yeah, could be.. Looks like the case is hitting the back edge of the ejection port.. If the ejector was a bit more forward, it should clear the case easily..
Posted By: blanket Re: Mauser ejection help - 05/03/22
Are you pulling the bolt back slowly? If so mausers were made to eject by pulling the bolt back briskly. There is no spring loaded ejector
Posted By: z1r Re: Mauser ejection help - 05/04/22
Originally Posted by blanket
Are you pulling the bolt back slowly? If so mausers were made to eject by pulling the bolt back briskly. There is no spring loaded ejector

Racking the bolt hard won't resolve anything if the extractor isn't properly fitted.
Posted By: blanket Re: Mauser ejection help - 05/05/22
Your right if it is not fitted correct but it sure as [bleep] wouldn't function right if you pull back slowly
Posted By: blanket Re: Mauser ejection help - 05/05/22
Your right if it is not fitted correct but it sure as [bleep] wouldn't function right if you pull back slowly
Posted By: z1r Re: Mauser ejection help - 05/05/22
Uh, yes it does. Don't recommend slow-mo, but no need to rack it back at 90 mph either.
Posted By: blanket Re: Mauser ejection help - 05/07/22
Extractor holds the case now ejector needs longer. But could fail to eject with loaded rounds
Posted By: sqweeler Re: Mauser ejection help - 05/21/22
All fixed.New extractor and ejector.Flip's empties across the room.Thanks for the help.
© 24hourcampfire