Home
How difficult would it be to shorten the butt end from 14" to 13 3/4" on a McMillan graphite stock with Edge Technology? Is the recoil pad (1/2" decelererator) glued or screwed as I can't find any screw holes?
For .25"???
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
For .25"???

My thoughts precisely. Seems like a lot of work for no real perceptible gain. If it’s that important I’d swap out the 1/2” pad for a 1/4” pad. 😁
Yes I agree, 0.25" difference doesn't make much difference. That is why when you have Remingtons etc at 13.5" and European rifles such as Sako's at 14" , reducing the European rifles by 0.25" leaves a difference of 0.25" from the American rifles which is not significant. Swapping a 1/2" recoil pad for a 1/4" pad isn't such a great idea because the recoil pad is there to absorb the recoil, and that's why you have a thicker pad. I don't suppose you do, but do either of you two guys know the answer to my question though?
Tape the end of the stock with two wraps of painter’s tape and cut it off with a sharp miter saw blade. I’ve used a table saw with the pushbar adjusted to rush on the comb and keep the butt angle the same, it works too.

IIRC the Edge stocks have or at least had the pads glued on. Probably need a new pad. Rough up the face of the new one and glue it on with epoxy or Loctite 416.
Yes, I do know how to cut down that stock.
Originally Posted by TheKid
Tape the end of the stock with two wraps of painter’s tape and cut it off with a sharp miter saw blade. I’ve used a table saw with the pushbar adjusted to rush on the comb and keep the butt angle the same, it works too.

IIRC the Edge stocks have or at least had the pads glued on. Probably need a new pad. Rough up the face of the new one and glue it on with epoxy or Loctite 416.
Thanks for that information. I assume that a graphite shell won't fracture or chip?
Not on any I ever did.
I use the two wraps for grinding the new pad back to shape too....when the first one gets touched....UNCLE.
© 24hourcampfire