Home
Posted By: RDFIRENUT Rem action question - 05/23/22
I've got a sleeved Remington 600.
I'm wanting to change the stock.

What other model(s) action screws match the 600?

Thank you,

R.D.
Posted By: Al_Nyhus Re: Rem action question - 05/23/22
Since it's a sleeved action, there can be some possibilities there as well as some potential obstacles....depends on what sleeve it is, the profile, how the sleeve was done for action screws and recoil lug, etc. Is the action out of the stock now or is it a glue in? Also, sleeve dimensions are going to play a factor in what stocks may work.

The screw spacing on the 600/660 actions are specific to those actions. The Model 7 screw spacing is close but not correct.

600/660: 5.625"
Model 7: 5.875"
700 short: 6.500"
700 long: 7.375"
The XP100 screw spacing is even shorter (3.450") as there's no screw in the rear tang.

Good shootin' -Al
Posted By: Bugger Re: Rem action question - 05/23/22
There's an article in the Number 87 Rifle (May-June 1983) regarding fitting fiberglass stock that I think you might find very informative.
Posted By: RDFIRENUT Re: Rem action question - 05/23/22
Thank you for the info sirs.

The barreled action is in a custom aluminum stock. Definitely not glued in, it has no barrel channel. It's kinda uncomfortable shooting left handed. I'll have to pull it to check the screw spacing. I'm not positive how the smith did the sleeve as far as the action screws. I'm getting consistent .2" groups now but hoping to shrink them up with a more comfortable stock.
Thanks again for the info

R.D.
Posted By: Al_Nyhus Re: Rem action question - 05/23/22
From your description, it sounds like the stock is a CPS style 'I beam' design stock...which were popular when sleeved 600s were common on the firing line.

You can get a 'flat top' stock and have it inletted for your sleeve by a 'smith. You may be able to find a used BR stock and fit your action into it. -Al
© 24hourcampfire