Home
Posted By: jjarv383 Winchester 1873 problem - 11/08/22
Looking for any suggestions on an original winchester 1873 in 44-40. I've been in the process of getting it back to a functional state. Had to replace my right side carrier lever assembly. Problem is now when you work the lever it seems to bind up and pushes the right side plate cover outwards. Anyone with ideas on possible solutions it would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Winchester 1873 problem - 11/08/22
I’d remove the side plate, work the action and see what’s going on.

DF
Posted By: jjarv383 Re: Winchester 1873 problem - 11/08/22
I have pulled it apart. As you work the lever, the right side link assembly seems to be coming back at a slight angle as it reaches the back of the stroke
Is the toggle worn and loose?

DF
Posted By: jjarv383 Re: Winchester 1873 problem - 11/08/22
It feels like it is still pretty tight in comparison. It seems to operate smoothly when either the right or left toggle is on. But when. You put both on it seems to be slightly binding somwhere
Originally Posted by jjarv383
It feels like it is still pretty tight in comparison. It seems to operate smoothly when either the right or left toggle is on. But when. You put both on it seems to be slightly binding somwhere
Guess you gotta figure out where. Is it lubed?

How loose are the toggle joints?

DF
Posted By: Kp321 Re: Winchester 1873 problem - 11/09/22
It could be different length toggles. Lay them on top of each other to compare.
Or maybe the lever has a twist in it?
Posted By: jjarv383 Re: Winchester 1873 problem - 11/09/22
Toggles both seems tight considering the age. I hadn't thought of the lengths which I'll check next free chance u get
There's a 73 Expert on the WACA site named Bob. I would post this problem as a guest, and I'm sure you'll get an answer.

HS 58
Posted By: Kp321 Re: Winchester 1873 problem - 11/14/22
If you get a solution, please share it with us.
In my experience with the innards of 73 Winchester. If the proper parts are inside which I'm assuming are.
If someone possibly forces a round through a cycle, for whatever reason, a toggle could be bent, or the connecting pin on the toggle link could be bent.
Usually as they wear, they still operate, just sloppily.
Thinking about it being forced sideways, someone suggested possibly the wrong toggle, maybe a 76 toggle link being longer in a 73, forcing it toward the side plate.

HS 58
Posted By: jjarv383 Re: Winchester 1873 problem - 11/27/22
Well I was finally able to get things running. Ordered a reproduction toggle link and with a bit of file work on the carrier spring which was binding on the new toggle it's functioning. Now just need to get the extractor fitted and installed and hopefully get the old girl out on a late season doe hunt.
Glad to hear your getting it figured out and making some headway.
© 24hourcampfire