Home
Any of you fellas try one in the last year or two? They are only 125 bucks, contoured and short chambered...you can't even touch a take-off on ebay for that...and then on ebay, there are the confidence building seller comments on the bore description..."lots of riflings left".
A year or so back I used one in 6.5x55 for a build on a DWM 98. Very happy with the barrel, and as you say, the price is very reasonable.
Thanks Craig...
I have installed Brownells Mauser 98 barrels in 6.5x55 and .270 Winchester, and am happy with both.
That one with lots of riflings left might be worth a look! GD
LMAO...youse guys kill me. Unfortunately I have several vintage firearms....without 'lots of riflings left'...so mayhaps I shall investigate further, if riflings are good...perhaps lots of riflings are gooder. One good thing about eBay...all levity aside for a moment...most of the take off barrels offered have anti slip machinings that by design or chance...fit a Rigid 24" pipe wrench jaw. Brownell's should offer this feature.
What are you working with? I've got a number of new take-offs here...mostly factory 700 Sporter stuff.

You'd have to suffer along w/o any pipe wrench marks, though. wink -Al
Al, My number one want (I have so many) would be a Win post 64 push feed barrel in...gasp, dare I say it? .270. Other projects awaiting, a Ruger MKII stainless, .243 to be converted to .308...customer insists! on a gen you whine Ruger bbl (I know). Always in the market for large ring Mauser takeoffs almost any cartridge, mil surp bbls not so much, commercial yes.
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Other projects awaiting, a Ruger MKII stainless, .243 to be converted to .308...customer insists! on a gen you whine Ruger bbl (I know).

That's the perfect customer to get 'involved' with his own project. After he chases down and brings you the barrel he insists on, you get to go to work. Until then...it's off your plate. wink

Good shootin' -Al
Got an 06 on a Maurer that is very accurate.
I have three or four of their Mauser action barrels including a small ring Turk barrel that all work as good or better than a lot of off the rack 'Deer rifles'

Steve...........
© 24hourcampfire