Home
Posted By: shouldershot NEF/H&R barrel fitting - 02/06/23
Acquired a .35 Remington barrel in exchange for a .223 barrel on my single shot. Locks up tight when a factory round is chambered. No light visible when action is closed on an empty chamber.

Otherwise, how do you determine if it is a proper fit?

Thank you
Posted By: Nessmuk Re: NEF/H&R barrel fitting - 02/06/23
Sounds right to me.
Posted By: FSJeeper Re: NEF/H&R barrel fitting - 02/06/23
Headspace gauges would be helpful.
Posted By: gzig5 Re: NEF/H&R barrel fitting - 02/06/23
If you can't get a headspace gauge, start stacking layers of scotch tape or packing tape on the head and trim it around the rim. That will give you a good idea of the headspace on a factory case or if you can get a case fired in a known good chamber that could help too.
Posted By: Jason280 Re: NEF/H&R barrel fitting - 02/07/23
I used to play with a lot of NEF rifles, and *most* of the headspace issues (at least swapping random barrels) was noticeable with the action locked up and forend removed. It was pretty obvious lockup wasn't tight, you could feel the barrel actually flex/move with the action closed. Of course, this isn't scientific by any means, but I wouldn't be too nervous to proceed if lockup was tight. .35 Rem is one of those rounds that can be temperamental in single shots, specifically break actions...they are notorious for issues in T/C Contenders.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: NEF/H&R barrel fitting - 02/07/23
Dinny has done a few AFAIK
He could probably tell you as well as
anybody I know of

I have dedicated setups for what I
have, and don't swap barrels around
Originally Posted by Jason280
I used to play with a lot of NEF rifles, and *most* of the headspace issues (at least swapping random barrels) was noticeable with the action locked up and forend removed. It was pretty obvious lockup wasn't tight, you could feel the barrel actually flex/move with the action closed. Of course, this isn't scientific by any means, but I wouldn't be too nervous to proceed if lockup was tight. .35 Rem is one of those rounds that can be temperamental in single shots, specifically break actions...they are notorious for issues in T/C Contenders.

Why would a .35 Remington be temperamental in a single shot?
Posted By: Dinny Re: NEF/H&R barrel fitting - 02/07/23
Originally Posted by shouldershot
Why would a .35 Remington be temperamental in a single shot?

The 35 Rem headspaces off a tiny shoulder.
Posted By: Plab Re: NEF/H&R barrel fitting - 03/01/23
I'd just shoot it.. if it locks up tight .I bet its good to go check the case after for issues

plab
Hmmm
© 24hourcampfire