Home
Posted By: Jevyod Fix or scrap - 03/17/23
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
This happened today. I will add a few more pics and info...on my phone so 1 at a time it will be!
Posted By: Jevyod Re: Fix or scrap - 03/17/23
Saved the chip. Measured with a calipers it is .2 deep
Posted By: Jevyod Re: Fix or scrap - 03/17/23
So I had the rifle bedded, just picked it up today. There was a crack there before, I was hoping the bedding would help relieve the recoil. So a few questions, is this repairable? I am an amateur woodworker so I am not afraid to glue the chip back in. I am just afraid if it happened once it may happen again? This stock is on a BRNO Mauser, and obviously came from a different rifle. Chambering is 338-06, so has some recoil.
Or would you just scrap the stock? I got the gun for 325, so I am not opposed to putting it in a Boyds.
Posted By: Clemson Re: Fix or scrap - 03/17/23
Totally repairable. Use Acraglass -- the thin stuff rather than the gel.
Posted By: Sheister Re: Fix or scrap - 03/17/23
Easy fix. I would use Elmers Titebond, clamp it sufficiently to not squeeze out all the glue, let it dry. Sand any small imperfections lightly . Take the action out of the rifle and relieve the wood a bit at the point so the action isn't driven back into it in recoil
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Fix or scrap - 03/17/23
Originally Posted by Sheister
Easy fix. I would use Elmers Titebond, clamp it sufficiently to not squeeze out all the glue, let it dry. Sand any small imperfections lightly . Take the action out of the rifle and relieve the wood a bit at the point so the action isn't driven back into it in recoil

Exactly!!!!!
Posted By: gunscrew Re: Fix or scrap - 03/17/23
this
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Fix or scrap - 03/18/23
I agree on the easy fix and relieving behind the tang... but it is really important IMO to bed it properly. That is a bedding issue.

And I would not use anything but epoxy. There is more than enough oil in the wood to cause problems and therefore I would use the best glue. I have zero problem using Elmer's Titebond on fresh clean wood.
Posted By: pal Re: Fix or scrap - 03/18/23
Originally Posted by Sheister

Except use epoxy, not white glue.
Posted By: Craigster Re: Fix or scrap - 03/18/23
Elmers is not Titebond.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Fix or scrap - 03/18/23
#1. Fire the Ten Thumbed POS who calls himself a ...................
I just can't even say gun smith thinking about your bedding job!

How can anyone have bedded that gun and not addressed the problem.
Especially not relieved the tang on a Mauser?

Do not take it to him.

PS. Not a Smith myself. Just a DIY hack.
Posted By: Offshoreman Re: Fix or scrap - 03/18/23
Use a good 2-part, clear, medium to slow cure epoxy - not Marine Tex or steel bed or any other bedding material. The epoxy is much more viscous and will flow and fill every crevice, penetrate into the pores of the wood.

Make sure the stock and chip bare wood areas are cleaned well with lacquer thinner. Let dry and repeat. Let dry and then drill some small holes in the stock first - and if possible a couple in the chip - liberally apply epoxy to both, using toothpick ensure the holes are filled - press fit together wiping the excess off with a rag dampened with lacquer thinner to clean off excess epoxy. Tightly wrap several times around with masking tape and do not touch it until completely CURED.
Posted By: Al_Nyhus Re: Fix or scrap - 03/18/23
Originally Posted by Offshoreman
Use a good 2-part, clear, medium to slow cure epoxy - not Marine Tex or steel bed or any other bedding material. The epoxy is much more viscous and will flow and fill every crevice, penetrate into the pores of the wood.

Make sure the stock and chip bare wood areas are cleaned well with lacquer thinner. Let dry and repeat. Let dry and then drill some small holes in the stock first - and if possible a couple in the chip - liberally apply epoxy to both, using toothpick ensure the holes are filled - press fit together wiping the excess off with a rag dampened with lacquer thinner to clean off excess epoxy. Tightly wrap several times around with masking tape and do not touch it until completely CURED.

The above is the best fix.

The tang shouldn't have any contact with the stock or the same thing will happen again. The back of the recoil lug is what should be taking the load...nothing else.

Good shootin' -Al
Posted By: Redneck Re: Fix or scrap - 03/18/23
Originally Posted by Clemson
Totally repairable. Use Acraglass -- the thin stuff rather than the gel.
Failing that, use a good 2-ton epoxy - clamped tight for 24-36 hours.. I would also 'pin' it as well, after the epoxy is fully set.. The two pin sizes I used was 3/32 or 1/8"... I'd use the latter for your stock...

YMMV...
Posted By: hookeye Re: Fix or scrap - 03/18/23
Common deal.
Easy fix and then back to shootin.
Posted By: Jevyod Re: Fix or scrap - 03/18/23
Thanks guys! Got some 2 ton epoxy and will repair with that
Posted By: Al_Nyhus Re: Fix or scrap - 03/18/23
If the epoxy you choose seems a bit thick, warming it with a hair dryer can help. -Al
Posted By: Sheister Re: Fix or scrap - 03/18/23
Originally Posted by Craigster
Elmers is not Titebond.

You're probably right about that, but I use Elmer's woodworking glue and Titebond pretty much interchangeably in my woodworking projects. Both are excellent... I use them on a lot of stock repairs also, but in this case if the wood isn't fresh and clean the epoxy is the better material as has been stated...

Bob
Posted By: Dinny Re: Fix or scrap - 03/19/23
Why not use superglue?
Posted By: pal Re: Fix or scrap - 03/19/23
Originally Posted by Dinny
Why not use superglue?

Because you want a permanent repair.
Posted By: Freezer Re: Fix or scrap - 03/19/23
I've used Elmer's wood glue on many projects without a problem.

I would have to question the bedding and general stock fit! That seems to be an old well-used stock and from what I read from another rifle. Why fix it yourself? Take it back and have it done right!

Boyd's make a great stock and your action/barrel may fit right in, but I wouldn't just install it and call it good. They benefit from proper bedding. I have an At-One stock under a custom Argentine Mauser and found their relief cuts very generous.

Though the At-One is a good adjustable stock, the fit and finish leave a lot to be desired.
© 24hourcampfire