Home
I've gotten the pad sanded down so that the hard base is level with the butt stock wood, but the soft rubber portion "stands proud" above the base. I know that putting the stock in the freezer overnight will make the final sanding easier, but I read somewhere about using some sort of oil or wax for the final sanding/finish on the soft rubber portion of the pad. What oil or wax should I use and how? I'm using 1000 grit wet or dry sandpaper at this point. Thanks!
I've been using a power sander for as long as I remember and never had the rubber stand out from the base plate. The rubber takes some pretty aggressive grit to take it off. I usually start with a 60 grit belt and move up to 120-180 at the end I can't imagine the wet/dry will do much but wear out your patience.
I have used Johnson paste wax on a paper towel and it does a very nice job.
I have installed a bunch of Pachmayr pads.
I agree with Sheister’s post above…..your grit needs to be a lot more coarse.

Having said that you will need to be very careful now with that coarser grit because your base is already finished to size.
I’d wrap a couple layers of masking tape around the base of the pad and then very carefully grind the rubber with 120 grit.

Good luck.

Leftybolt
Originally Posted by Sheister
I've been using a power sander for as long as I remember and never had the rubber stand out from the base plate. The rubber takes some pretty aggressive grit to take it off. I usually start with a 60 grit belt and move up to 120-180 at the end I can't imagine the wet/dry will do much but wear out your patience.

What he said!

Phil
Sounds like you are at the point of starting all over again, correctly.
© 24hourcampfire