Home
Posted By: 65Jeffrey old Win red stock finish - 12/03/23
lets revive this !
had used Pilkintons but cant find it anymore.
Looking to finish a walnut/rosewood gunstock and trying to find a finish that will give me the classic old Winchester reddish brown look.
dont need anyones homebrew recipe(thanks tho) looking for something i can buy and apply
Thanks
Posted By: fburgtx Re: old Win red stock finish - 12/04/23
I’ve seen folks mention this:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006433482?pid=513652

Some are very happy with it, some, not so much.
I've had good results with Timberluxe stain and finish. Check their website for complete instructions.
Posted By: 65Jeffrey Re: old Win red stock finish - 12/04/23
interesting, had never heard of the Timberlux
Posted By: Craigster Re: old Win red stock finish - 12/04/23
Might look at this:

https://homesteadparts.com/shop/stock-oil-winchester-restorations-2oz-p-1781.html
I have almost a full bottle ( 4 ounces) of an Outer's Stain and Pore filler that is about the same. I did a stock with it years ago and that is what it looked like. Free if you can use it. PM me if interested
Posted By: Rapier Re: old Win red stock finish - 12/04/23
The Herters French Red "stain only" product is reported to be close to the pre 64 red stain used by Winchester. I have not found a new bottle of Plinkington myself but still have a bottle that I use on old Win stocks that I refinish. The reviews on the stain only, read well. I do not use fillers as I do 90+% sanded in oil finishes.
You could get a can and try it on some scrap to see what it looks like to you, beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder.
I am new to this site and still not sure what I am doing. I want to buy. 375 Winchester ammunition. Please Email @ [email protected]
Brownells French Red Filler, read and follow the instructions to the letter! After drying and light buffing add your preferred finish...so close to the original M70 nobody will know.
Posted By: Craigster Re: old Win red stock finish - 12/04/23
Originally Posted by Sharpshooter1
I am new to this site and still not sure what I am doing. I want to buy. 375 Winchester ammunition. Please Email @ [email protected]

Post a WTB in the Classifieds.
The dark brown/black filler that Winchester used is in part responsible for the classic, warm red/brown‘Winchester finish.
I like to put Minwax Red Oak oil stain under a BLO finish and wax top coat on the Marlins I refinish.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: nmitchell Re: old Win red stock finish - 12/11/23
I second the minwax red oak stain.

Neil
That Minwax Red Oak stain looks very nice.
Posted By: killerv Re: old Win red stock finish - 12/11/23
If I'm not mistaken Jacks First Gun Parts carries a stain thats about as close as you can get. I however use regular old formsby tung oil on all of mine.
© 24hourcampfire