Home
I've been looking at a beautiful old rifle chambered in 8x57R. I understand this cartridge is pretty much obsolete. I was wondering what the options might be to have the rifle rechambered and what kind of investment that would require? thanks.
Posted By: Aardvark Re: Rechamber an 8x57R rifle? - 04/15/07
It is a very low pressure cartridge, so I would be very careful about going to a high pressure cartridge...Here is a little info on it:
http://www.nawr.com/8x57R360/8x57r_4.jpg
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Rechamber an 8x57R rifle? - 04/15/07
I would lay in a few boxes of European made ammo and a set of regular 8x57 dies and use it as is. I would think that would be cheaper than having it rechambered.

Another approach, according to Nonte's book of cartridge conversions, is to utilize 9.3x74R cases by trimming to length and sizing in an 8x57 die. He also suggests using .30/40 Krag cases by reducing rim diameter and thickness, and resizing in an 8x57 die. I would do this as a last resort as the head diameter of a .30/40 Krag is .010" less than an 8x57. One firing is probably all you would get.

Annother consideration is whether it is an "S" bore (.323") or a "J" bore (.318"). That would determine which bullet and expander plug you would have to use.
Are you sure its a 8-57R and not a 8-57JR?

The 8-57JR is still loaded and a useful cartridge which is common in combination guns.

Of late I have seen new factory ammo available from Sellier & Bellot. Norma, RWS and others have made or make it as well.

In most situations the rifle and cartridge just go together as they are. Its pressure is a moderate one but its not a weak round.

I have made brass for it from the 30-40 Krag but the rim needs to be turned down from the inside. Most bores are .318" and those bullets are still made as well.
According to Barnes, "Cartridges of the World"
the bore is only .318"
Posted By: muledeer Re: Rechamber an 8x57R rifle? - 04/15/07
7x57R cases are available from Midway and Grafs. I would think bumping it up to 8x57R would be a snap. I think you can also resize .444 Marlin brass, but that would take some measurements to be sure.

Could you post a pic or two? Just curious about the rifle grin.

Also check out www.buffaloarms.com. They have brass and bullets for pretty near just about anything.
Rifle is an old H&H Rolling Block single shot
What with it being a H&H it might be expensive? If its not expensive it sounds very interesting!

I got my 8-57jr in 1968 and its my best gun. No matter what the cartridge, within reason, it can be shot. Buy it if its not too expensive.
Posted By: Yukoner Re: Rechamber an 8x57R rifle? - 04/16/07
I have formed both 7X57R and 8X57R from 444 Marlin brass for at least 25 years and never had a moments trouble with it.

Ted
© 24hourcampfire