Home
This is my second complete barrel stub project where I started with a H&R shotgun barrel as a donor and threaded a GM barrel blank onto it. I was spoiled and had access to a Haas TL1 for contouring and threading the blank and drilling, boring, and tapping the stub. Everything else was done on manual machines until today when I engraved it on a SWI Proto Trax mill.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/BXwFtpX

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Initial loads show potential. My chrono clocked that load at 2073fps.

Evnin, is there any posabilty you could go through the process step by step with pics??? Have access to a lathe & would like to try it on my own. Thanks for your time & don't sweat it if ya can't. GWPGUY. πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
That's almost as time consuming as making the barrel. I'll see what I can do later this weekend. I think it would be easier to explain on my desktop computer.
Impressive work Dinny! Hopefully someday you'll pass your skills on to the next generation.
Good Job
Originally Posted by Dons99
Impressive work Dinny! Hopefully someday you'll pass your skills on to the next generation.

That's the plan, despite what my 11 y/o son thinks. 🀣
Very nice work, looks like a David White job, which is a complement. David did a lot of work with stubbing H&R barrels and Super Mag cartridges. Cut then drilled and tapped the original barrels about 6" long, turned and threaded the new barrel blank, screwed the two together then turned them to a seamless fit, chambered, finished, engraved, etc. They make a good single shot rifle.
Is that chamber cut for the Star-Line brass or the 30-40 brass version of the 445 SM, two different rim deminsions.
Mornin, Rapier gave a petty good run down of the process thanks. It's kind of what I thought. Any little details I need to know?? Thanks again for your time. GWPGUY. πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
The chamber was cut with a true 445 SM reamer. David White and I have the same mentor, Mike Bellm.

As far as other details, here's a big one. Cartridges with case bodies 30-30 and smaller get 11/16-24 threads. Larger cartridges get 7/8-20 threads. The only exception to that is when starting with a larger donor barrel like a 12ga where the chamber walls are too thin for 11/16-24 threads. Those get 7-8/20 no matter what.

410ga barrels have become my favorite donors for 44 Mag or 445 SM stubs. The only ejector work needed was to deepen the radiused notch by .004" and take out the fillet on the inside corner so the 44 brass would sit flat on the ejector lip.
Very interesting work, Dinny. What is the most powerful cartridge or pressure limits on this type of action?
270 Win is the highest pressure cartridge the factory chambered. Considering I thread mine with more threads per inch than most bolt action rifles have I see my design holding strong with the 270 Win as a upper limit. I will say this though, just because it can doesn't mean it should. Flex during firing would limit accuracy in any break barrel rifle like this.
© 24hourcampfire