Home
Posted By: EJKELLEY Remington J lock - 04/11/24
Im sure this has been talked about before but could you gun smiths explain why the J bolt remingtons are frowned upon? Thanks!
Posted By: Bugger Re: Remington J lock - 04/11/24
Not a professional gunsmith, but I know some about 700’s.
First, it seems no matter what rifle being discussed people want the ones before the extra safety. (I’m one of them)
Second, there’s sometimes an issue with the firing pin spring dragging. I have not experienced that issue, but just read about other shooters’ experience.
Third, it’s sort of ugly.
Posted By: steveredd1 Re: Remington J lock - 04/11/24
Originally Posted by Bugger
Not a professional gunsmith, but I know some about 700’s.
First, it seems no matter what rifle being discussed people want the ones before the extra safety. (I’m one of them)
Second, there’s sometimes an issue with the firing pin spring dragging. I have not experienced that issue, but just read about other shooters’ experience.
Third, it’s sort of ugly.

all 3 of these

+1, if lock, and you dont have the key, your screwed
Posted By: Timbermaster Re: Remington J lock - 04/11/24
Some J lock rifles shoot extremely well. Some don’t. They don’t automatically loose accuracy because of the j lock.
Posted By: Craigster Re: Remington J lock - 04/11/24
Firing pin spring bind/drag was/is an issue.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Remington J lock - 04/11/24
I’ve swapped a couple of them, not so much because of the J-lock but because I could hear the firing pin spring screeching as the bolt was raised. I figured that couldn’t be good for consistent firing pin speed.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Remington J lock - 04/11/24
The good news is you can easily get rid of it by swapping out the shroud/firing pin assembly.
Posted By: EJKELLEY Re: Remington J lock - 04/12/24
Thanks all!
© 24hourcampfire