Home
Posted By: Flyer01 Acraglas Release Agent - 06/10/07
Gentlemen,

I went to begin bedding an Ruger Mark II today and discovered while, I have plenty of acraglas left, the release agent has turned to a rubber like paste.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a easily acquired subsitute release agent ?

Thanks
Tim,
Posted By: 458Win Re: Acraglas Release Agent - 06/10/07
I prefer Johnson's paste wax
I have heard of using Pam cooking spray but have no first hand experience with it.
Posted By: RickB Re: Acraglas Release Agent - 06/10/07
I�ve had very good results using Johnsons paste wax, but I�m sure any other brand would work as well. smile Warm it up in the sun a bit, or stick the closed can it a pan of hot water, brush it on with a paint brush and let it dry.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Acraglas Release Agent - 06/10/07
I used Johnson's for years and then switched to Hornady one-shot. It works great and is fast and easy... I coat everything below the stock line with Johnson's before reassembling though as it does a very good job preventing rust.
Posted By: UtahLefty Re: Acraglas Release Agent - 06/10/07
wax works well! really anything that leaves a fine "skin" will prevent bonding. I've noticed that acraglass and the like don't stick to masking or electrical tape at all but this is too thick to be of use. The trick in to have the smallest skin that gives thorough coverage. Go with the wax - maybe try a test piece first to convince yourself you'll get the pieces separated.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Acraglas Release Agent - 06/11/07
I have used Johnson's wax as well, use as the first two gentleman described. While I don't know where you are in Alberta, I would think an industrial plastics supplier in Calgary, Edmonton or Red Deer could find a you a similiar product that I've used. I have been using a PVA industrial mould release agent which I get from an outfit called IPS in Kelowna. It is used by the local boat, RV and hot tub factories for release of fiberglass parts. By the way, from the same distributor, I use a product called "Powerfil 10EH" for bedding. It is an industrial epoxy used in boat manufacturing, and I've used it for something like 20 years now. It can be bought in 16 oz. tubs, and is quite a bit more economical than the 1 application bedding kits. Good luck.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Acraglas Release Agent - 06/11/07
Originally Posted by Flyer01
Gentlemen,

I went to begin bedding an Ruger Mark II today and discovered while, I have plenty of acraglas left, the release agent has turned to a rubber like paste.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a easily acquired subsitute release agent ?

Thanks
Tim,

I've always used Pam cooking spray. Others will use paste wax.

Casey
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Acraglas Release Agent - 06/11/07
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I used Johnson's for years and then switched to Hornady one-shot. It works great and is fast and easy... I coat everything below the stock line with Johnson's before reassembling though as it does a very good job preventing rust.

I have wondered if One Shot would work as a release..........may try that.

Casey
Posted By: UtahLefty Re: Acraglas Release Agent - 06/11/07
that'd be pretty slick if you could apply it evenly -- it's certainly something you'd never run out of / always have on hand !
Posted By: Karnis Re: Acraglas Release Agent - 06/11/07
Hornady One-Shot. Easily the best I've used, absolute no brainer.
Posted By: Flyer01 Re: Acraglas Release Agent - 06/11/07
Gentlemen,

Thank You for all the suggestions, have some one shot on hand, will try that later today.

tim,
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Acraglas Release Agent - 06/11/07
First, you can buy bigger containers of the realease agent from Brownell. I havenever had it go bad, but I make sure the container is always sealed well. I like it over all the other suggestions because when you strip it off with hot water, you know it is all gone. This is great if you need to reapply some epoxy to some area. All the other stuff is hardto get off and you are never quite sure you got it all. Although they all work
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Acraglas Release Agent - 06/11/07
Saddlesore
Why take it off? It keeps corrosion away and more! wink

Would worry about PAM though as it is a grease that will go rancid and get gummy...
art
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Acraglas Release Agent - 06/11/07
Just saying that if you need to take it off, it can be harder if you need to add more epoxy. I always apply Johnson Paste wax to metal and stock before hunting season
Posted By: TiLug Re: Acraglas Release Agent - 06/11/07
Kiwi shoe polish (clear) works pretty good also. Use Q-tips to get in those hard to reach places.
I just beded a rifle with steel bed and used One Shot for the release agent. It is very easy to use.
Posted By: Flyer01 Re: Acraglas Release Agent - 06/14/07
Thanks again for all the suggestions, tried some one shot and it worked great.

Tim,
Posted By: Stonewall Re: Acraglas Release Agent - 06/16/07
I use Kiwi neutral shoe polish as a release agent .Clean metal parts and mask off clearances with high quality masking tape. Heat the barreled action slightly with a spotlight from aproximately 12". Use cotton patches and q-tips to apply a thin coat of wax.
Let sit for ten minutes and buff with another cotton patch.Done.
Chet Brown used a mold release wax in making stocks . I have experimented with most common used products but the Kiwi shoe wax -$2.59 Cdn /can works best and is easy to find and use.
Glenn
Posted By: chris112 Re: Acraglas Release Agent - 06/17/07
I use Johnson's Paste Wax myself. Just rub your finger around the top of it and then spread on the metal parts. Never had one stick yet. Just make sure you get everything that the bedding will possably come in contact with.
Posted By: djs Re: Acraglas Release Agent - 06/18/07
I used Johnson's paste wax when bedding the forearm of an old (1907) Remington Rolling Block rifle. Worked like a charm!
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Acraglas Release Agent - 06/18/07
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Would worry about PAM though as it is a grease that will go rancid and get gummy...
art

Yeah, but your gun doubles as bear bait--makes life simpler grin

Casey
Posted By: Cheaha Re: Acraglas Release Agent - 06/18/07

Have used most tricks in the past but now only use Hornady One-Shot. Fill the action screw holes with red grease and also shoot a liberal dab on the screws. Also give the chamber and lug recesses a good spray of One-Shot, as bedding compound will squeeze up thru the front action hole on 700's...
Posted By: j2dogs Re: Acraglas Release Agent - 06/23/07
Have ran in to this problem before. Contacted Brownells about it. They said that it could be cut with isopropyl. Tried it and it does work.
© 24hourcampfire