Home
Posted By: passport Bedding question - 01/09/08
I need to re bed around the lug on a 700 action. My bedding experance is limited but I think I can do this job. My question is about relese agent. I have some Johnsons paste wax and plan on using JB Weld as bedding materal.

When using the Johnsons wax after applying do you need to buff it then let it dry or what? If any of you can give me the correct way to apply that stuff that would be a huge help.

Thanks
Posted By: Stuart Re: Bedding question - 01/09/08
No need to buff the wax; it should dry fairly quickly. Just make sure all parts likely to come into contact with the epoxy are fully coated. Also, be sure that there are no "undercuts", ie where the dried epoxy can form a wedge with the broad bit on top or you'll have a *&$%^& of a time getting the barrel and action out. (I speak from experience on this, alas.)

smile Stuart
Posted By: Karnis Re: Bedding question - 01/09/08
I've bedded a bunch of rifles. By far the best release agent as far as reliability and ease of use is Hornady Spray case lube. Easy to apply dries fast and nothing sticks to it. You might want to give it a try.
Posted By: passport Re: Bedding question - 01/09/08
Good tip, Hornady One shot, right?

How long do I need to let it dry?
Posted By: Karnis Re: Bedding question - 01/09/08
Yes Hornady One Shot. Not long, a couple of minutes at best. I usually spray over the part I'm bedding 2x, just to make extree sure I didn't miss anything.
Posted By: passport Re: Bedding question - 01/09/08
Sweet!! Thanks Karnis!!!!!!!
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Bedding question - 01/09/08

Just make sure you fill in any recess areas with modeling clay before you spray it.

If the bedding compound flows into anything it's going to be a problem, sticking or not.

Spot
Posted By: pullit Re: Bedding question - 01/09/08
I was a Johnson's paste wax man until I used the Hornady One shot. That is some good stuff.....
Posted By: Stonewall Re: Bedding question - 01/09/08
Buy a can of "Kiwi" neutral shoe polish . Wipe down the action with a good cleaner such as MeK or rubbing alcohol.

Mask off the front-sides and bottom of the recoil lug with high quality masking tape.
Then heat the barreled action slightly (until warm to touch) with a 100 W bulb at 12 ". Using a cotton cloth wipe the "Kiwi" on the area required. Let sit for ten minutes and then buff with another clean cotton cloth. Done.

Glenn

Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Bedding question - 01/09/08
Glenn
I do not like the Kiwi because it contains silicone oil which will cause fisheyes and weak spots in your epoxy. On wood stocks it only takes a trace to cause problems later when using oil to touch-up the finish.

I have used one-shot for most bedding jobs lately and like it quite well, but Johnson's paste wax is just fine... and cheaper. I hose things down when I use the one-shot!
art
Posted By: chris112 Re: Bedding question - 01/10/08
The way I put Johnsons on is simply. Index finger is rubbed around on the top until there is plenty on the finger, then rubbed on the parts that need release agent (and well beyond the edges). Don't worry about waiting for it to dry.
Posted By: Stonewall Re: Bedding question - 01/10/08
Art
Hmmmm ! Brown Precision used a mold release wax many years ago when I talked to Chet Brown. I believe that this was in the stock finishing video also.

I never had a problem yet using "Kiwi" as a release agent but I will check the contents now.

My point is that a very thin release agent is best for precision bedding work.

It was the little green bugs landing in the clear coat while painting stocks outside that really _ _ _ _ - I'm sure that you understand.

Glenn
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Bedding question - 01/10/08
Glenn
Johnsons is just wax... Silicone oil is great stuff for lots of things, just that it messes with surface tension in finishes and causes problems... I am certain it would not be a problem most times, most ways. A can of Johnsons will last two lifetimes of heavy use!
art
Posted By: 163bc Re: Bedding question - 01/10/08
Johnsons is the best I've used. 163bc
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Bedding question - 01/10/08
One-shot works great and is easier... Just pricey in comparison...
Posted By: RAN Re: Bedding question - 01/10/08
I have used this stuff for years with excellent results.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=2198500&PMT4NO=35660354

RWO
© 24hourcampfire