Home
Posted By: cal_hunter Ruger M77 MkII 223 - 07/12/09
My son has a Ruger Model 77 MkII in 223. It is a stainless action with a boat paddle stock. The rifle shoots well, after tweaking the trigger and the loads. My question is, evertying in this rifle action is stainless except the magazine. It appears to be painted iron. Is there a source to replace this with a stainless magazine, or do I have to make one. Thanx Harold
Posted By: like2shoot Re: Ruger M77 MkII 223 - 07/12/09
Have you considered having it plated or coated? Many of the finishes are a close match to SS.
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: Ruger M77 MkII 223 - 07/12/09
I have several of those rifles. The mag boxes are blued steel, and the follower spring is also blued. Two easy areas to keep oiled...
Posted By: cal_hunter Re: Ruger M77 MkII 223 - 07/13/09
One of the reasons that I bought this rifle was that it seemed like a good candidate, if the time ever came, to be "put away and left unattended". With the composite stock and stainless construction it would survive better than the rest of the collection[walnut and blued steel]. The "achille's heel" is the blued magazine. My goal is to remedy this ,as best I can
Posted By: summitsitter Re: Ruger M77 MkII 223 - 07/13/09
I treated my 30-06 MKII like crap. Never had a problem with it rusting. When I was younger it probly went 5-6 years with oil. I don't think you should worry.
© 24hourcampfire