Home
I have a Browning A-bolt II in 30-06 with the boss and am going to have a button made to cover the threads so I can shoot it w/o the BOSS. Does anyone know size and how many TPI these have?

Thanks
Stumped the chumps, have I??????????
Well I was going to answer 1/2x24 TPI last night but I dont know absolutely for sure.
.........or it could be 1/2x28 TPI
Thread gage will tell you really quick.
Thread gage will tell TPI but not diameter. That takes a caliper, and even that is not 100% accurate. It may be a non-standard thread. Were I making a cap I would start small on the diameter and single-tool the threads a bit at a time until the cap fit the way I wanted. That is how I made my shotgun choke, which is definitely a non-standard thread.

Another way is to use the boss, shorten it, and turn off excess diameter as desired. Another way is to just cut the threads of the barrel's muzzle and re-crown. Only drawback is you can't just screw the boss back on if you want to.

-
I think that I am going to call Browning in the morning. These rifles are made over seas so they might be metric threads as well....
The barrel shank measures .560 inch by 24 tpi.

To make a thread protector you simply need a 9/16 inch X 24 tpi tap. And of course a lathe.
© 24hourcampfire