Home
I just came into a older M1894 in 44mag and have a sightron 4x sitting on top of my gun safe.

I would like some advice on mounts as I have been been running ruger rings on my rugers and talley LW on my M700's for so long I am out of touch with whats out there for weaver compatible rings/ bases.

I would like to to mount the Sightron in QD mounts and have a QD peep as well. It doesn't have to be a QD as long as I could mount it with a repeatable zero with just a screwdriver.

I was thinking a Weaver style base.. any preference for brands?

How about for rings. I would like something not to bulky and light weight if possible, but solid. What are the the preferences?

For the Peep sights I know NECG and XS make one, anyone else I should look at?
The last setup I used was Warne maxima 2 piece weaver style mounts and Burris zee rings. I messed around with other stuff but that's what worked best for me.

I wasn't that thrilled with the scoped 1894. The stock has too much drop. I was setting it up as a fast handling, low recoiling jackrabbit zapper. The gun never came up to my shoulder and eye right so it was not nearly as fast as I'd hoped for.

I think iron sights are a better way to go on that rifle, yet they aren't right for what I was trying to do, so ... no win situation.

After not too long, I sold it. If Ruger made a .357 version of the 77/44, I might get excited again about a .357 rifle.

Tom
I started with the open sights and liked them. Then, I scoped my Marlin 1894 in .44. I'm pretty sure it was a one-piece Weaver base, maybe Weaver rings as well. Anyway, it wasn't the gun I wanted with a scope, so off came the scope. It shoots really well with the open sights so I'm leaving it that way, at least for now.

For me, the 1894 is a quick to the shoulder and squeeze one off kind of gun and it was really counter-productive with a scope. Maybe a smaller, low-powered one would work, or a red-dot or something, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, I think I used Weaver stuff and it was all solid and functioned as it was supposed to function. Good luck.
Kind of late here, but I used a one piece Weaver base and medium height Burris Z rings on my most recent Marlin (an M1895). I have a Leupold 1-4 VXII on my rifle, could have used the low height Burris Z rings. This combination makes for a light and trim mounting job.
[Linked Image]

Peep

I used a XS rail on my 1895. I've not researched whether they are suitable for a 94.
With that rail and Weaver type ring is sits quite low. With the Scout type scope well forward on the receiver there is nothing to interfer with hammer access.
[Linked Image]

Conventional scopes will have to sit over the hammer though because they do not have adequate eye relief.
I bought a weaver one piece base for the 1894, and I have some older weaver low rings that I will start with and see how it goes. I spent a little time looking at rings for the weaver bases and I think if I decide to leave the rifle scoped I will either go with the Burris Z rings or Warne QD's if I decide to go QD.

I couldn't find any talleys to look at locally, but everybody says talley QD's are great, but this is supposed to be an economical project so I will pass on the Talleys for now.

I have two other levers set up with peep sights, an older BLR in 358 and a 1950's win 94..but to be honest my eyes don't allow me to make as good a use of a Peep as I once did.

noKnees: One will not do the Scout scope on the cheap. The unit I have is a 2.5X Leupold, and while there is some magnification, it works well with both eyes open. Not much different than it was with the original sights. I do feel the scope offers some advantages for target and aiming clarity as one reaches out past 100 yards. Hoping to nail a dark timber elk with mine someday. If I had intended it to be strictly bear defense unit, I would have done the ghost ring thing

I held off on even owning a lever unit for years due to the hassles of working with a hammer beneath the bell of scope. They are nice light units to pack around and handle well in tight quarters. Merry Christmas, 1Minute
© 24hourcampfire