Home
Posted By: podunk 700 cocking issue - 03/21/10
I adjusted the trigger on my 700 last night and got it where i wanted it but now it is hard to raise the bolt to cock the rifle, does this mean my sear screw is too tight?
Posted By: Malm Re: 700 cocking issue - 03/21/10
Back the over travel screw off a little. If it is set too tight it will interfere with and prevent cocking.
Posted By: podunk Re: 700 cocking issue - 03/21/10
Ok i figured it was something i did, will this increase creep?
Posted By: nsaqam Re: 700 cocking issue - 03/21/10
Malm, I'd like to thank you for being so quick to share your knowledge with us here at the fire.
It is appreciated by me and many others.

Thanks
Yes, having you guys answer so quickly has been a huge aid. Thank all of you that do so it is greatly appreciated.
Well now the cocking issue isnt my number one worry, remingtons damnable j lock is the current debacle.
Posted By: Malm Re: 700 cocking issue - 03/21/10
Originally Posted by podunkkennels
Ok i figured it was something i did, will this increase creep?

No, this screw merely prevents any further movement of the trigger after the sear drops. It is a screw that is usually mis-adjusted by well intentioned folks. Properly set, you should just feel a slight amount of play in the trigger after the sear has dropped. This little amount of play maintains the proper clearance so the gun will still cock and function when parts heat and expand. It doesn't affect accuracy.
Thank you very much malm, as soon as i get the damn j lock keys in ill adjust it. Youve been a tremendous help.
© 24hourcampfire