Home
Ive managed to lock the damnable j lock and of course i dont have a key. Any help?
PM me your address and I'd be happy to send you one, I have 3-4 extra that I sure don't need. I've since replaced all my bolt shroud/firing pins to do away with this feature.
But, let me know and I'll send one your way.
Definitely appreciate the offer Oregonmuley but i ordered 4 from midway already. Do you notice any advantage getting rid of them? Im contemplating buying a new assembly but if its not also a performance upgrade ill try to stick it out with the j lock and just keep a key handy.
I'm not expert and wondered the same thing as you - until I replaced the first one which by the way is really easy. I replaced the J-lock on a LVSF I had, I used the Gre-tan bolt shroud/firing pin assembly because it matches the finish a little better than say the Callahan.
Anyway, as far as could I feel anything different, maybe a little, seems the lock-time was a little shorter, can't say it made me shoot any better. But once apart, the factory spring really is a ugly looking unit, I think someone has posted pictures - it really is a twisted mess of a thing, the Gre-tan or Callahan look much cleaner. If going for lightweight, you also can shave off about 2oz with a after market so for me it was worth the $50 or so it cost.

[Linked Image]

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

fish head
Do you notice any advantage getting rid of them?

You mean besides the obvious?

Ive managed to lock the damnable j lock and of course i dont have a key
Originally Posted by fish head

[Linked Image]

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

fish head

Yep. Just reading the title of the thread, before I even opened it, the first thing that popped into my mind was "yank it out with Vise Grips". shocked
Ha! Im a tankee, a four pounder is our solution to everything, ive had to suppress the urge on some of my smithing excapades.
But once apart, the factory spring really is a ugly looking unit, I think someone has posted pictures - it really is a twisted mess of a thing, the Gre-tan or Callahan look much cleaner.

Gre-tan

[Linked Image]

Factory wart

[Linked Image]
I have one, and also the tool, but back to the original question, can it be done without damaging the rifle?
© 24hourcampfire