Home
i have a friend who says he wants a 28 inch full choke barrel on his 20 guage winchester model 12 shotgun..... does anyone make and sell replacement barrels for model 12's and would these need to be fitted by a gunsmith? or.... are there any other options?
A few years ago I got one of the Japanese reproduction barrels that were done up for the "Browning/Winchester" Miroku Model 12. I used it to replace the original barrel on a cut down 20 gauge from the mid 1920's. It worked fine, but fitting was a learning experience. The biggest hurdle I had to overcome was that I had to machine the receiver for a rib extension. The original barrel was plain, but the replacement had a vent rib. As I recall, the barrel came from Numrich and the rib extension came from Simmons.

Clemson
thanks for your reply....
i did more research and talked to a local gunsmith.... best options i could come up with was to cut the barrel and install choke tubes....
called my friend, turned out it was a 16 guage....
he said don't worry, he usually uses his 20 guage with modified choke with a 26 inch barrel for doves.... he is about 75 years old, and i think every thing is fine with him as it is....
i did learn that winchester model 12 barrels are not commonly available, which is interesting, because i have several old 12 guage model 12's (retired, but serviceable).....
When we sold the M-12 parts from Simmons Gun Repair we sold a bunch of complete forends and barrels to J&J Firearms. They are in Web City, OK. You will need to get the number from information as I no longer have it. He is open in the evenings and only sells shotgun barrels and left hand firearms. HTH
© 24hourcampfire