Home
Posted By: JS_LaCourse M70 "feel" - 01/31/11
Here's a question:

Two days ago I was in the local Cabela's and in the cabinet sat a M70 in 270 which had been done at some point by Gene Simillion. I asked to take it down to have a closer look. Two things jumped out at me and I'm hoping the folks here with more knowledge than I will be happy to accomodate me with some answers:

First, the stock itself; factory stocks on Classic I have owned feel slightly chunky in my hand while this one felt more up and down if that makes sense. In other words, it felt quite trim like there was more stock vertically than horizontally in the hand. And it pointed quite well I might add!

Second, the action. When worked, the action felt like it was on ball bearings but it had a "click" to it when it was worked. I apologize if my descriptions are vague or difficult to decipher but I am very curious to learn what steps are taken to make the action feel so different from the factory version.

Thanks!

Jeff
Posted By: Redneck Re: M70 "feel" - 01/31/11
Well, first off I'd bet this was a CM action, not SS. It's mainly paying attention to little details like any possible remaining burrs or sharp edges.. Those are stoned or sanded off. Bolt lugs are most likely lapped to ensure full and even contact. Cocking ramps polished and lubed. Firing pin cocking nose angle altered to match the bolt's ramp. Safety cam and matching recess on firing pin polished and lubed. Possibly a new FP spring.. Bolt guides polished to 600 grit or better. Matching lug surfaces polished also. Magazine follower should be steel and leading engagement edge and top of cartridge guide polished to 600 or better. Magazine spring tension must be even- front to back..

Little things.. A bunch of 'em.. But add 'em up and a dead man can feel the difference.. laugh laugh
Posted By: rifle Re: M70 "feel" - 01/31/11
Gene is a Master at "smooth"....with wood and metal!
Posted By: JS_LaCourse Re: M70 "feel" - 01/31/11
that much seems evident. it was a very nice rifle.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: M70 "feel" - 01/31/11

You just got a chance to cycle the bolt of a well-tuned M70 CF......

You think that's good, wait until you get the chance to cycle with rounds in the mag.........

I mean, I'll stick with my M700's for other reasons, but a tuned M70 sure is nice......

Casey
Posted By: TheWarrior Re: M70 "feel" - 02/05/11
Lee, how much $$ we talking? Just curious.....
Posted By: hawkins Re: M70 "feel" - 02/05/11
If you want a slick action try a Krag.
Good luck!
Posted By: Redneck Re: M70 "feel" - 02/05/11
Originally Posted by TheWarrior
Lee, how much $$ we talking? Just curious.....
Depending on what the action truly needs, it could be as little as $100 or as much as $250...

Won't know until it's in my hot little hands.. laugh
Posted By: Steelhead Re: M70 "feel" - 02/05/11
Or one could step in a dog turd barefoot to get the same M70 feeling.
Posted By: Bulletbutt Re: M70 "feel" - 02/05/11
But then if you have a 700 you already are familiar with that feeling, so no need to. smile
Posted By: Redneck Re: M70 "feel" - 02/05/11
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Or one could step in a dog turd barefoot to get the same M70 feeling.
Amazing to get that old and yet be so uneducated.. Sad, really... smile
Posted By: j2dogs Re: M70 "feel" - 02/05/11
Purchased a brand new Win Mod. 70 7mm-08 last year. Looked great, got it home. Looked down the barrel with a mag. glass, looked like 40 miles of rutted road.
Sent it back to Win. they sent me another one, same thing, after several calls to Win. speaking with shop manager. They confessed that the barrels are proof tested only and the inside of the bore is not inspected at all. After 5 months of this they finally sent me a Browning. The inside of the barrel was immaculate.
Posted By: Redneck Re: M70 "feel" - 02/06/11
Originally Posted by j2dogs
Purchased a brand new Win Mod. 70 7mm-08 last year. Looked great, got it home. Looked down the barrel with a mag. glass, looked like 40 miles of rutted road.
Sent it back to Win. they sent me another one, same thing, after several calls to Win. speaking with shop manager. They confessed that the barrels are proof tested only and the inside of the bore is not inspected at all. After 5 months of this they finally sent me a Browning. The inside of the barrel was immaculate.

WHAT?? You say them spankin' new BACO Winnies from SC aren't top notch?? SACRILEGE!!! laugh laugh

Curious - how did you get inside that bore with a magnifying glass? Or do you have a borescope? In any case - I've said from the start of these new BACOs that they should have left the trigger alone and put the money into a quality barrel instead..
Posted By: Karnis Re: M70 "feel" - 02/06/11

So are you saying Browning inspects all their barrels or they ran a patch down it prior to selling it?
Posted By: djb Re: M70 "feel" - 02/06/11
Did you ever try shooting the SC 70?

I have not 'scoped mine (270 Win 2008 FW) but it has been sub-MOA with 110 TSX, 150 Partitions, and 150 Horns. https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._Somebody_stop_me_I_m_about_#Post4725234

The thing is so smooth you have to double-take to convince yourself you didn't close the bolt on an empty chamber.

Posted By: TheWarrior Re: M70 "feel" - 02/07/11
Would you believe I picked up another pre 64 Lee? Same place as the last one (ez pawn). Only this time the metal looks great but the stock has a crack. It's a featherweight by the way in 308. I havent decided what exactly im gonna do with this one, but I wouldn't trade any of my Wins for any A bolt.
Posted By: Redneck Re: M70 "feel" - 02/07/11
Dammitall, I'm gonna have to phone that place and put my name on a list.. laugh

Good snag.. The crack should be an easy fix - specially if you glass bed at the same time..

Good to hear from you again.. Stay safe.
Posted By: j2dogs Re: M70 "feel" - 02/09/11
Originally Posted by Redneck

WHAT?? You say them spankin' new BACO Winnies from SC aren't top notch?? SACRILEGE!!! laugh laugh

Curious - how did you get inside that bore with a magnifying glass? Or do you have a borescope? In any case - I've said from the start of these new BACOs that they should have left the trigger alone and put the money into a quality barrel instead..

An old gunsmith trick. Take a light source at the breech end of the barrel, take a magnifing glass hold tight against the muzzle and look down it. You will be suprised at the detail that you can see. What you may think is a perfect bore with the naked eye, let just say it is the next best thing shy a bore scope.
And 1+ to left the trigger alone and have spent the money on a quality barrel.For sure.
Originally Posted by djb
Did you ever try shooting the SC 70?

I have not 'scoped mine (270 Win 2008 FW) but it has been sub-MOA with 110 TSX, 150 Partitions, and 150 Horns. https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._Somebody_stop_me_I_m_about_#Post4725234

The thing is so smooth you have to double-take to convince yourself you didn't close the bolt on an empty chamber.

Yes, I tried shooting it. It grouped right around 2 inches with one load which I do not believe was indicative of how the gun would shoot. According to the shop mananger who had tested both guns with numerous loads. He told me that the barrels had a twist for a heavier bullet, bascally they were the same barrels they were putting on the 7 mags. I beleive I could have got the gun to shoot sub moa even with the barrel looking the way it was with a heavier bullet. My thinking was down the road with several rounds through it and the build up of gilded metal in the pits would have been a nightmare to clean.
As it is the browning which has the same twist, shot lighter conventional bullets crappy too. Went with a Horn, GMX, which has a longer bearing surface, which must have done something,she is shooting right at .75 inches 5 shot groups at 100 yds.
Which kinda bears out with the results that you got ie (Heavier conventional bullets, lighter mono bullets.)
Originally Posted by Karnis

So are you saying Browning inspects all their barrels or they ran a patch down it prior to selling it?

Wether they inspect them or not, I do not know. Both guns were cleaned before I inspected them.
Originally Posted by TheWarrior
Would you believe I picked up another pre 64 Lee? Same place as the last one (ez pawn). Only this time the metal looks great but the stock has a crack. It's a featherweight by the way in 308. I havent decided what exactly im gonna do with this one, but I wouldn't trade any of my Wins for any A bolt.

The one they gave me was not an A bolt, but an X bolt micro hunter. I did not think I would like it either. But once I got it and handled it. Very light for a wood stocked gun right at 6.5 lbs. Very, very smooth action. And it handles and shoots exceptionally.Still not a fan of the gold trigger.:)
Posted By: Clarkma Re: M70 "feel" - 02/17/11
[Linked Image]

In got this pre 64 M70 with TV Redfield scope for $475 in 2005 from a guy in Blaine who does a wildlife photo safari in Alaska. His uncle in Alaska had died and he put an add in the paper.
He said some great gunsmith in Alaska, Brad Dennison of Alaska Coastal Outfitters, had taken off the original 30-06 barrel and put on a new 30-06 barrel. The new 06 barrel was counter bored.
He said his uncle had shot with it:
2 grizzlies
6 moose
10 mountain goats
6 sheep
109 Sitka Black tailed deer
16 black bear
2 caribou

I replaced the barrel with 22" featherweight Pac-Nor 270 barrel, the stock with a Bordon rimrock, the scope with a Leupold, put turrets on the scope, a different sling, and a Harris swivel bi-pod.
It now weighs 8.9 pounds with scope, sling, bi-pod, and ammo.
I shot:
8 mule deer between 329 and 510 yards.
I have a lot of rifles, but only one pre-64 M70, and it is the rifle that gets to hunt.

Posted By: bigwhoop Re: M70 "feel" - 02/18/11
Refresh my memory. Who makes quality replacement stocks for pre '64 Featherweight 70's? McMillan, Bansner and Borden? Any other company?
Posted By: model70man Re: M70 "feel" - 02/18/11
Was this a pre-64 or post?
© 24hourcampfire