Home
Posted By: old_willys Removing a Tikka T3 Barrel - 02/02/11
Want to send a Tikka T3 stainless barrel to be fluted, it had been removed once already when it was rebored to 35 whelen.

How hard are Tikka barrels to remove\replace? Can a DYIer with some machine shop experience accomplice this?

What tools are needed?
Posted By: bea175 Re: Removing a Tikka T3 Barrel - 02/02/11
Barrel vice and wrench is all you need. You need to use a punch and make a reference mark on the barrel and action so you can install back on the action and maintain proper head-space. If i was you i would send the barrel action so the flute could be cut in the proper orientation of your action, which may not happen if you send barrel by itself.
If i was you i would send the barrel action so the flute could be cut in the proper orientation of your action, which may not happen if you send barrel by itself.

Sound advice.
Posted By: eddief Re: Removing a Tikka T3 Barrel - 02/02/11
If you are sending the barrel to Karl Feldkamp for fluting, I'm sure he would have no problem timing your flutes. If you send the barrel off the receiver, mark TDC (top dead center) on the barrel.

I know I would have absolutely nobody else do my flutes, and I have seen him cut ALOT of them. He's definitely OCD with his precious flutes turning out perfect (grin).
Posted By: bea175 Re: Removing a Tikka T3 Barrel - 02/02/11
you may be right Eddie but why take the chance by sending barrel only when it would be just as easy to send the barreled action.
Posted By: bh444 Re: Removing a Tikka T3 Barrel - 02/02/11
Originally Posted by bea175
you may be right Eddie but why take the chance by sending barrel only when it would be just as easy to send the barreled action.

Can a barreled action be sent BACK from the smith to the owner without a FFL holder acting as the middleman?
Originally Posted by bh444
Originally Posted by bea175

Can a barreled action be sent BACK from the smith to the owner without a FFL holder acting as the middleman?

Yep, you are the owner, so there's nothing requiring an FFL.
When I talked to Karl he requested I have the barrel removed prior to his getting it. I do plan on marking TDC and it has alignment marks under the barrel/action from the reboring so it is almost good to go...
Wait a minute. This is a relatively light weight stainless barrel that has been bored open to .35 cal? Is there even any material to safely flute?

Posted By: nsaqam Re: Removing a Tikka T3 Barrel - 02/03/11
Originally Posted by Tennessee
Wait a minute. This is a relatively light weight stainless barrel that has been bored open to .35 cal? Is there even any material to safely flute?

EXCELLENT point!!
i was wondering the same thing.
Posted By: Miner Re: Removing a Tikka T3 Barrel - 05/11/11
Where did you get it rebored? I am looking for a lightweight rifle and am seriously considering the Tikka. I would like to have one in 338-06 which of course they do not make. Thanks.

Alan
goodness sakes the tikka is pretty darn light with the full weight barrel much less being rebored. what are you going to save like 4 oz or something with fluting?? a ring or scope change could make that up. using the factory rings and a leupold ultra light scope makes more sense than this project
Originally Posted by Miner
Where did you get it rebored? I am looking for a lightweight rifle and am seriously considering the Tikka. I would like to have one in 338-06 which of course they do not make. Thanks.

Alan

I have a feeling you could find a cheap T3 used in .338 Federal and have the barrel set back a thread and chambered to 338-06. The only other parts you would need would be a long action bolt stop and a long action magazine.
Posted By: Miner Re: Removing a Tikka T3 Barrel - 05/21/11

Alan

I have a feeling you could find a cheap T3 used in .338 Federal and have the barrel set back a thread and chambered to 338-06. The only other parts you would need would be a long action bolt stop and a long action magazine.

Thanks Tennessee. I'll start looking that way. I know little about the 338 Federal so had never considered that. Sportsman's Warehouse carries a T3 that is stainless and fluted that they claim is made exclusively for them. I kind of like that one but may look for a used one like you said.
Posted By: Miner Re: Removing a Tikka T3 Barrel - 05/21/11

Alan

OK, so the 338 federal is a 308 necked up to 338. Are all the actions the same length on the Tikkas? Is it really that simmple to turn a 338 Federal into a 338-06?
I wouldn't flute it,it's not worth it. It's already light.
© 24hourcampfire