Home
I ended up with 2 Turkish 98 mauser and was wondering if they were worth rebarreling to a different caliber. I know you can buy a hunting rifle pretty darn cheap so it don't make sense that away.I just like mauser action and hopefully I don't get a lot of money in them.Just wondering if Turkish Mauser was decent quality. Thank you
Posted By: nsaqam Re: Quality of turkish Mauser - 02/10/11
The K Kale Turkish Mausers are good quality actions. Be aware that most are large ring like all 98's but they are threaded for a small shank barrel.
This has zero affect on the strength since there is the same amount of steel around the chamber but it does reduce the choices you have in prethreaded barrels.
A simple rebarrel while retaining iron sights will be inexpensive but if you plan to do a complete sporterization then the costs really add up unless you do much/most of the work yourself.
I will add that doing a complete sporterization can be a fun and rewarding learning experience.
You can tackle many different aspects of gunsmithing and if that type of thing interests you they are a cheap way to get a ton of good experience.
Thank you. Just a simple re-barrel with iron sights.I sporterized a few back in the 1970's and really enjoyed it. Where could I find a prethreaded 30/06 or 270 barrel? The barrels in the turkish's mausers are in real poor shape.thank you
Lothar Walther makes pre threaded barrels for Mausers in all kinds of calibers, including the stepped military profile if you want to that way.
Adams and Bennett make inexpensive barrels in the calibers you mentioned for $89-$99.

You can also desolder the sights, turn a new crown anf bend the bolt for a sporterized military look. They shoot just fine, and 7x57 or 8x57 are fine N/A calibers.
A&B doesn't sell small shank barrels in 270 or 30-06.

Only in 6.5x55, 7x57, and 257 Roberts.

Midway sells Shilen barrels threaded for the small shank in 250 and 300 Savage, 7x57, 6.5x55, and 35 Remington.
6.5X55 is a smoking cartridge in a large ring Mauser!

Dan
The 7x57 is no slouch either.
Shorten that Turk barrel past the cleaning rod wear, and you might have a good shooter. Plus, the 8x57 is a great hunting cartridge. You might put a new barrel on it which shoots worse than the original barrel. I hacksawed mine off, and it became a 1" to 1 1/2" 3-shot, 100 yd group shooter. It prefers the Nosler 180 BT. However, it shoots the cheap 185 gr Rem just fine.

Another, more expensive route if you want to keep it looking original, is to have the cleaning rod wear removed via a counterbore. I completely sporterized/butchered my Turk, but I have another one still in the cosmoline. I plan to clean it, install the bayonet, and hang it on the wall. I bought two @ $59.95 each, and hindsight being always 20-20 I should have bought a dozen.

One IME comment: My Turk's front band was held on with a riveted bolt, not a threaded bolt. I simply threaded one side of the band 10-32 and used a taper-head (??) screw. However, the riveted-on band meant my Turk was probably never dismantled for cleaning. Hidden in every nook and cranny was hardened, like-baked-on and -in Turkish dirt. No rust was beneath it, thank goodness!
I have a 30-06 in the white barrel threaded for the small turkish receiver for sale. I am cleaning out the closet. If you are interested let me know.
What price are you looking to get for it?
I am looking to get $35 + shipping. Shipping would likely be $7-$12. It is in the white and unmarked and has a nice bore. I was going to use it but decided to do something different with the action I have.
Posted By: Clarkma Re: Quality of turkish Mauser - 02/17/11
I think I only have one 1938 Turk Mauser, but ~ 50 of the 1903 Turk Mausers.

The 1903 were converted from 7.65x53mm to 8x57mm in 1938, and have already had the magazine modified for a longer cartridge.

The 30-06 and 270 are 3.34" and even longer than the 8x57mm.
The 1903 Turks would be a poor choice for a 30-06 conversion.

The 1938 was built for the 8x57mm, and could be lengthened.

I think the 1903 quality is better, made in Orberndorf, but they are more worn than the 1938 Turks.
I was looking in a flyer the other day and you can get VZ-24's for about $150 each. Those would be my first choice, but Big Red is built on a turk and she does 1-2" at 100+ all day.
jaluesing,

Send me a PM for the 30-06 barrel in the white for 35.00.
© 24hourcampfire