Home
Posted By: kend Release agent report - 02/15/11
. I tried some neutral Kiwi shoe polish on a small bedding job. The stuff really works good.
Posted By: shooter4570 Re: Release agent report - 02/16/11
Why would anyone use anything but Brownells glass bedding supplies ?
Posted By: redz06 Re: Release agent report - 02/16/11
You bet, its dandy stuff, the Kiwi clear paste; I have used it for years as a release agent. I also use the old Johnson's paste wax. Either one puts on a nice thin coat.
Posted By: clark98ut Re: Release agent report - 02/16/11
Originally Posted by shooter4570
Why would anyone use anything but Hornady's One Shot?

There, fixed it for you. wink

I've been using One Shot for a while, and the stuff just works! Super easy to apply (just spray it on), wipes off easily, rifle pops right out of the stock. Can't be beat in my experience...
Posted By: Reloader7RM Re: Release agent report - 02/16/11
Originally Posted by clark98ut

I've been using One Shot for a while, and the stuff just works! Super easy to apply (just spray it on), wipes off easily, rifle pops right out of the stock. Can't be beat in my experience...

I'm going to pop one in a bit, I hope you're right laugh

Been using carnuba wax, but a friend told me 1 shot was the bees knees. I will say it levels very well and is a breeze to put on.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Release agent report - 02/16/11
WHICH Hornady one shot?????.....
Posted By: himmelrr Re: Release agent report - 02/17/11
Make sure you use the Case Lube One Shot. There is a cleaning One Shot also by Hornady. The Case Lube version is AWESOME as a release agent.

RH
Posted By: ingwe Re: Release agent report - 02/17/11
Thanks! I'll try it on my next one!
Posted By: WiFowler Re: Release agent report - 02/17/11

Cost comes to mind . . . . . . smile
Posted By: Karnis Re: Release agent report - 02/17/11
Originally Posted by clark98ut

Posted By: Reloader7RM Re: Release agent report - 02/17/11
Popped one last night where I used 1 shot case lube. Worked like a champ. Defintely came out easier than the wax I've been using.
Posted By: shooter4570 Re: Release agent report - 02/17/11
Yeah, that cost is a BIG issue. Bedding a $1000 barreled action in a $1500 stock ....
heck you could even save more money by bedding it in Bondo.

Soaking a gun in salt water is also a cheap way to "rust" blue it too.
Posted By: Paul39 Re: Release agent report - 02/17/11
There are other sources of some of the same products, Devcon being one. Of course Brownell's own brand name products are exclusive. There are also competing products. It's not just a choice between Brownell's and the hardware store. And if somebody can get a product like Devcon at a better price from some other source, why not? As was mentioned in another thread, Brownell's doesn't try to compete on price.

Brownell's stuff is good, but I've never felt compelled to use their products exclusively.

Paul
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Release agent report - 02/17/11
Tough to whoop OneShot.............
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Release agent report - 02/17/11
Brownell's stuff is good, but I've never felt compelled to use their products exclusively.

Me neither (hey Stick, no foolin'). I think it's more what product you're used to, most of the products commonly used seem to do fine. Each seems to have its little quirks and once you get comfortable with a product it's easy to just stay with it.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Release agent report - 02/17/11
Never was into making easy schit difficult and results have never not interested me.

If you ain't spraying the release,you are pissing up a rope..............
Posted By: Karnis Re: Release agent report - 02/18/11
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Tough to whoop OneShot.............

Truer words were never spoken.
Posted By: CLB Re: Release agent report - 02/18/11
After you spray the OneShot, does the stuff haze up first or dry?

or do you just spray and go.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Release agent report - 02/18/11
Shake like a bastard(akin to spray paint),spray and let it set. Lay up glass in stock and after that time,reapply the release agent,before setting barreled action into place.................
Posted By: CLB Re: Release agent report - 02/18/11
Thanks Stick.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Release agent report - 02/18/11
Releasing twice was something beat into my head in my Youth,when polishing/releasing moulds laid up with fiberglass.

Cheap insurance and I've seen me spray [bleep] in triplicate................(grin)
Posted By: himmelrr Re: Release agent report - 02/18/11
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Shake like a bastard(akin to spray paint),spray and let it set. Lay up glass in stock and after that time,reapply the release agent,before setting barreled action into place.................

Exactly the way I do it. For some reason if you do not shake vigorously, only the carrier comes out without the lube. Luckily I only had a stuck 223 case to figure it out. Not an expensive stock.

RH
Posted By: Clarkma Re: Release agent report - 02/24/11
The constraints, on release agent for bedding a rifle, are so loose than many household products will do. I use Redding Imperial die wax, as it is right there already.

The constraints, for release agent for potting aero-space ceramic magnetics as layers of epoxy and foam are applied and put in a vacuum chamber to pull the bubbles, are many and probably hi-vac grease will be used.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Release agent report - 02/24/11

A couple of reasons; availability and convenience. With Brownells, unless you live in Montezuma, IA, you have to order it and unless you are ordering a bunch of stuff, shipping is getting frightfully expensive. I have been using Devcon 10110 as I can get it locally through several sources and it has the advantage of being mixed by weight. I put a 1 oz cup on the scale and zero it out. Next, I put a dab of the steel filled resin in the cup so that it looks about right. I note the weight and then add 1/9th of that amount in hardener. Too easy to get the exact ratio right! I buy the 1 oz cups by the hundred at Smart & Final.

I think Devcon may even be better than that Steelbed but have no empirical data to support this.

Oh, I use shoe polish as a release since I don't have any One shot!
Posted By: CLB Re: Release agent report - 05/25/11
A couple weeks ago I bedded two with Devcon and sprayed on OneShot Lube and it was the easiest release I ever had.

I shook the crap out of the can first and sprayed two coats.
Posted By: Hubert Re: Release agent report - 05/26/11
The white end off chicken chit works fine.

also good for chapped lips...

wont cure them but stops you from licking them. grin
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Release agent report - 05/26/11
I put the can of 1-Shot in the vib tumbler for a few minutes.
Posted By: Jn316 Re: Release agent report - 05/27/11
Originally Posted by Prwlr
I put the can of 1-Shot in the vib tumbler for a few minutes.

What a neat idea laugh ....... wish I had thought of that
Posted By: Dolphin Re: Release agent report - 05/30/11
Whatever works. A lot of time over release. Really.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Release agent report - 05/30/11
I have used Pam Cooking Spray on a number of rifle and it works great.
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: Release agent report - 05/31/11
I have been using the One Shot as well and it works well. As was mentioned use 2-3 applications. Cheap insurance. I have used it with Steelbed at least 20 times and it leaves a mirror smooth finish and breaks loose easy.
Posted By: Gunner75 Re: Release agent report - 05/31/11
Many different materials work great for release, but I have found none that works as well as pictured below.
(Works on every bedding compound, glue, etc)

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: Release agent report - 05/31/11
Where do you get that and how hard is the clean up?
Posted By: like2shoot Re: Release agent report - 06/01/11
http://www.mann-release.com/products.htm
Posted By: Gunner75 Re: Release agent report - 06/04/11
Clean up is a breeze!
Posted By: las Re: Release agent report - 06/07/11
Originally Posted by Hubert
The white end off chicken chit works fine.

also good for chapped lips...

wont cure them but stops you from licking them. grin

You would know this how? smile

Crisco works also.... I hate squeezing those fuggin chickens....
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Release agent report - 06/07/11
Cow pies are handier around here, and you don't have to squeeze a cow. smile Never tried it, never had to try it. Just thinking of it as an alternative pretty well does the trick.
© 24hourcampfire