Home
Were 870's ever made with a steel trigger guard?
Does anyone make one currently.
Seems like I remember Brownells carried some kind of replacement years ago. I'm not sure what it was made of.
I think the Police model had a metal trigger guard.
I have never seen a Steel Trigger Guard on any Rem. Pumps since the 141 Rifles , never on an 870 !
That's the problem, I've got a Remington 121 and a Winchester Model 42, both with steel trigger guards. It's so much nicer than aluminum.....wish they would upgrade the shotgun line....what's a few ounces???
I have two 870's - a Po-lice Magnum (age???) and a Wingmaster of mid-60's vintage. Neither will attract a magnet.
4 Oz.=1/4 Lb. 8 Oz. = 1/2 Lb. 12 Oz. = 3/4 Lb. and so on . Steel has to be machined while other metals can be cast , thus lowering production cost , and weight ! Everything is about Money in todays world !
Ruger uses investment cast steel actions, and most cast or even forged aluminum actions need machining. Aluminum just allows the cutting tools to last longer. SS is hard on tools. Titanium even worse. I have no major objection to aluminum except that paint doesn't age well....
OK I like steel as much as the next guy but what's wrong with the aluminum guards that come on 870's? I've never heard of one breaking and it's an 870, it's not like it's a fancy gun or anything.
nothing wrong with them. Just an obsession.
They look really bad with age.
Get thee a can of Aluma-Hyde II from Brownell's. Not as tough as baked on but way tougher than anything you're likely to find at a hardware store. Touch-ups are easy.
Nighthawk,
Thanks, I've used that before. Works really well.
I just like the way blued steel ages.
If the Model 12 was as smooth as the 870, I wouldn't be looking.
John
Uh ohhhhhhhhh........ You shouldn't outta said that.
Who will be the first???
Timney used to make a steel trigger group for the remington series firearms. I think they also made it in a release trigger verwion for trap shooting. I never see them for sale though.
John Boy, I told you wrong. My mind is slipping. The steel 870 trigger assembly was made by Allen Timney and not Timney Triggers. I think there may have been some relationship there though. Unfortunately, Allen Timney is about 90 years old (if still with us) and stopped making them several years ago. I would watch Gun Broker and all the shotgun forums. Sorry...Bill.
© 24hourcampfire