Home
Posted By: C_ROY 7mm-08 to a 7mm SAUM - 10/25/11
I have a 700 sps in 7mm-08. It has a 24" barrel on it. Can this be rechambered to 7mm SAUM? Can the bolt face be reworked to the saum case? Would the cost of getting this be done, if it can be done be practical or would it make more since to sell the 7-08 and try to find a 7mm saum?
Posted By: k3yston3 Re: 7mm-08 to a 7mm SAUM - 10/25/11
It would be more cost effective to sell and buy a 7mm saum. Another thought, if you want more pop out of your current 700, you could always have it rechambered to .284 win. It doesn't give up too much to the saum. However, you would definately have to reload as over the counter choices are very limited for the .284
Posted By: Monashee Re: 7mm-08 to a 7mm SAUM - 10/25/11
Originally Posted by k3yston3
It would be more cost effective to sell and buy a 7mm saum. Another thought, if you want more pop out of your current 700, you could always have it rechambered to .284 win. It doesn't give up too much to the saum. However, you would definately have to reload as over the counter choices are very limited for the .284
As are factory SAUM offerings.I would do the SAUM over the .284.I've owned both,they are both great rounds but I have been very impressed with my 7SAUM.It's a ballistic twin to my .280AI in a shorter package. MOnashee
Posted By: high_country_ Re: 7mm-08 to a 7mm SAUM - 10/25/11
by the time you buy a bolt or mod yours, ream it and such....you are close to the cost of a new rifle.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: 7mm-08 to a 7mm SAUM - 10/25/11
Originally Posted by C_ROY
I have a 700 sps in 7mm-08. It has a 24" barrel on it. Can this be rechambered to 7mm SAUM? Can the bolt face be reworked to the saum case? Would the cost of getting this be done, if it can be done be practical or would it make more since to sell the 7-08 and try to find a 7mm saum?

You can rechamber it and then have a sako extractor installed probably about 200-250 tops and change out the magazine box and follower. Or you can buy a new rifle
Posted By: C_ROY Re: 7mm-08 to a 7mm SAUM - 10/25/11
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by C_ROY

You can rechamber it and then have a sako extractor installed probably about 200-250 tops and change out the magazine box and follower. Or you can buy a new rifle

$250.00 is cheaper than a new rifle. Can you recommend some one to do this work?
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: 7mm-08 to a 7mm SAUM - 10/25/11
I think you will have a hard time finding a good smith to do it for $250. and I sure wouldn't have a Sako extractor.
Butch
Posted By: MShuntfish Re: 7mm-08 to a 7mm SAUM - 10/25/11
Sometimes the scenario that you desire comes with feeding problems as the feed rails will have to be monkeyed with...I think.

Sell and buy what you want.
© 24hourcampfire