Home
My daughter wants a funky paint job on the stock and I really dont want to order 5 bottles of cerakote and use only an ounce of each. Would it work to just krylon the stock and then hit it with cerakote clear satin to lock everything in and increase durability? The clears are air dry so heating the krylon is not an issue.
You could just top coat the colors with Krylon clear!
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
My daughter wants a funky paint job on the stock and I really dont want to order 5 bottles of cerakote and use only an ounce of each. Would it work to just krylon the stock and then hit it with cerakote clear satin to lock everything in and increase durability? The clears are air dry so heating the krylon is not an issue.

That's a he!! of a idea. As long as everything is degreased well start to finish. I can not imagine why it wouldn't. Might just have to put a paint job on my Montana.
Posted By: efw Re: Clear cerakote over krylon? - 08/13/12
I used matte-clear Aluma-Hyde II on mine which is epoxy and holds up exceptionally well.
Posted By: RAN Re: Clear cerakote over krylon? - 08/13/12
Krylon has no resistance to common gun cleaning chemicals. You must use an epoxy or urethane clear topcoat. Aluma-Hyde II is excellent for a no-bake epoxy finish.

RAN
Im pretty satisfied with how well cerakote holds up to chemical and abrasion resistance, are the clears as tough as everything else?
Posted By: Jglenn Re: Clear cerakote over krylon? - 08/15/12
Clears are air dry as far as I remember. still pretty tough stuff

Cerakote air cure or Duracoat clear work good.
Thanks guys, the idea of five bottles and $200 worth of cerakote going bad was hurting the wallet pretty bad.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Clear cerakote over krylon? - 08/19/12
I used Krylon matte clear over Krylon camo, several coats. The clear coat sure seems DAMN durable. I carry that rifle on my conditioning hikes and long range shoots and I don't baby it and the paint job is perfect still.

My only complaints are that I can still smell it offgassing (or something!) 6 weeks later, and it's a bit shinier than I'd like. I may hit it with some 600 grit to matte it out a bit more.
Posted By: mistem Re: Clear cerakote over krylon? - 08/20/12
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I used Krylon matte clear over Krylon camo, several coats. The clear coat sure seems DAMN durable. I carry that rifle on my conditioning hikes and long range shoots and I don't baby it and the paint job is perfect still.

My only complaints are that I can still smell it offgassing (or something!) 6 weeks later, and it's a bit shinier than I'd like. I may hit it with some 600 grit to matte it out a bit more.

Make sure you don't get Bull Frog sunscreen on it...it will turn the Krylon tacky....been there,done that frown
For some reason the Krylon clear never does worth a darn for me. A few months ago, I coated my Mcmillian A3 with od green krylon and black webbing, then added Duracoat clear over that. It has held up with 0 marks in it. You just have to let the Duracoat harden for about 2 weeks before you use it
I always have used the Alumahyde clear over my krylon jobs with great results. As far as drying I typically have left it dry to the touch then hung it in my attic for a week. No smell and rock hard on several jobs thus far.
© 24hourcampfire