Home
Posted By: woodson Browning BLR trigger job? - 08/21/12
Bought a Browning BLR 243 off a fellow 24hour member. I'm more than happy with the rifle and it's condition considering the price I paid. That being said, I would like to improve it's horrid trigger. Anyone have experience on my options on such a task?
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Browning BLR trigger job? - 08/21/12
Here's your guy:

http://www.neiljones.com/

It's not cheap, but it requires multiple disassemblies of the clockworks of the BLR.

He did my .325 BLR and now it's a relatively clean 3 lbs- entirely acceptable.
Posted By: woodson Re: Browning BLR trigger job? - 08/21/12
How much am I looking at Jeff? Including shipping.
Posted By: woodson Re: Browning BLR trigger job? - 08/27/12
Well thanks Jeff. I decided to send Neil my BLR for his trigger job. I can't wait to see how it turns out.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Browning BLR trigger job? - 08/27/12
Sorry, I missed your earlier question (I didn't know the answer anyway...)..

What's he charging now?
Posted By: woodson Re: Browning BLR trigger job? - 08/29/12
$120.00 not including return shipping. I don't see anything wrong with that knowing how bad this trigger actually is. 2-3 week shop time. Yeah. No brainer really.
Neil is great with BLR triggers you will be surprise on what he an do...
Posted By: woodson Re: Browning BLR trigger job? - 08/31/12
Plus I asked him to clean and lube up the guts of the thing cause god knows I'll never disassemble that SOB.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Browning BLR trigger job? - 09/02/12
Heck, most gunsmiths won't!

I had a .358 BLR, and I was chasing a number on the chrono and was into some major powder compression. Powder pushed the bullet out; round wouldn't chamber; and then when I went to eject it, it pulled the bullet out and dumped a whole caseload of long stick powder (3031 I think it was) into the guts of the thing. It was an absolute nightmare to clean. I'm sure there's still some powder deep in that action.

I take some pride in seeing people use Neil for this. When he dud mine, he hadn't done one in many years, but said, well ok, I'll do it I suppose. He charged me $75. Afterwards he said he made like $10/hr <g>.... I tried to pay him more but he wouldn't take it. I told him I was gonna put the word out, and he'd see more BLR's..... he said he was going to charge a lot more next time! grin
Posted By: woodson Re: Browning BLR trigger job? - 09/11/12
Neil called me today and we squared up. I'll report on the outcome.
Posted By: woodson Re: Browning BLR trigger job? - 09/14/12
Got my BLR back from Neil. 200% improvement. Little take up remains but creep and pull weight are "fixed". Highly recommend.
Sounds like Neil did it right.

FWIW, on my BLR there's an adjustment screw for the take up but it can't be eliminated entirely and still function properly.
© 24hourcampfire