Home
Posted By: ruger438 model 70 safety work - 09/18/12
My newer (New Haven) model 70 safety engages harder than my old 70's vintage 70, and also snaps to "off" louder.

The newer rifle pulls the firing pin a little farther back off the sear than the older rifle.

Does any reputable gunsmith redo the engagement surfaces of the safety/firing pin so that rearward movement of the firing pin is minimal so that the firing pin doesn't have to snap front so far when disengaging the safety?

Or at the very least,
Is it unsafe for me to polish the small bevel where the safety engages the firing pin to at least make engagement easier?
Posted By: ruger438 Re: model 70 safety work - 09/18/12
never mind , it looks like the safety detent is extra deep in the "off" position, that looks less dangerous to mess with.
Posted By: ErniesSalad Re: model 70 safety work - 09/18/12
Mark Penrod. He's in N. Manchester, IN. Very few match his trigger and safety work on M70's.
Posted By: CKW Re: model 70 safety work - 09/18/12
Redneck, who often posts here; recently worked on a 1985 M70 XTR safety that had always been very stiff and got to where it would not engage. It works perfectly now, smooth and yet safe.

His work was fast and inexpensive. My single experience dealing with him was a pleasure and he was a perfect gentleman to deal with. If I ever need any other M70 work, he will do it.
Posted By: Redneck Re: model 70 safety work - 09/18/12
PM coming..
© 24hourcampfire