Home
Posted By: jt402 19903 barrels - 01/03/13
In my " good junk" stash, I have a couple of barrels that appear to be for a 1903 Springfield. They are new, still in the cosmoline and cardboard tubing. The writing is gone, but I dug deep enough to see the forged front sight holder and a four groove barrel.

I am not trying to get rich, but what are these worth? Thanks, jack
Posted By: Dustylongshot Re: 19903 barrels - 01/03/13
$200-250. Restorers look for these. What are the dates?
Posted By: jt402 Re: 19903 barrels - 01/03/13
Dusty, I just looked at the packing again. They are wrapped in wax papers not a tube as I originally said. The only writing that I can read is " barrel assembly". The cosmoline blots out the stamping. Should I clean a spot and check, or just leave it alone. IIRC, the date stamp is near the front sight??? Jack
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 19903 barrels - 01/03/13
The date stamp would determine a fair amount of its value. A pre-war dated barrel still in cosmoline would be worth a fair bit more than a wartime barrel. Finish, inside and out, and manufacturing tolerances were more closely held on pre-war barrels. How much more valuable is pretty subjective though.

Pre-war '03 barrels harken back to the days when the Springfield ruled the roost. Wartime barrels harken back to the days when quantity beat quality. Making a product that could obliterate the 10-ring wasn't as important as a product that could put a lot of lead in the general direction of a bunch of SS Grenadiers.
Again, I am not conversant with 1903 collecting and such, but were not the four grove bbls pre- war? Or must I clean to look ( and where-I do not want to clean the whole barrel.) These came from an old family friend from San Antonio, who was a rifle looney, and I suspect they are the good stuff. Jack
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: 19903 barrels - 01/03/13
Originally Posted by jt402
Again, I am not conversant with 1903 collecting and such, but were not the four grove bbls pre- war? Or must I clean to look ( and where-I do not want to clean the whole barrel.) These came from an old family friend from San Antonio, who was a rifle looney, and I suspect they are the good stuff. Jack

Start about 1/4 " back from the front sight boss, on TOP of the barrel, and clean a small spot, working your way back towards the breech end. You should not need to cclean a patch much bigger than a nickle to find the Mfg and Dates .

Luck

GTC
Posted By: PrimeBeef Re: 19903 barrels - 01/03/13
Remington (RA) made four groove barrels during the early part of WWII, as did Springfield Armory (SA).
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 19903 barrels - 01/03/13
Not looking to buy anything of this nature at the moment, but I am curious as to what you found.
Been out for a while. Both are definately four groove. one has an ordinance mark (ball with a wing or flame) and dated 2-43. The other is dated 2-44. I did not notice the ordinance mark on this one-not to say it is not there. They are wrapped alike. the cosmoline is still soft. The machining on the '43 appears to be finer. jack
Posted By: PrimeBeef Re: 19903 barrels - 01/03/13
There should be two letters stamped above the ordnance bomb. Given the dates on the barrels, I'd imagine the letters will be "RA" for Remington Arms.
Posted By: jt402 Re: 19903 barrels - 01/04/13
Both barrels are Remington and apparently intended for 1093-A3. The '43 shows rather nice machining. The '44 shows more machine marks. Jack
© 24hourcampfire