Home
I've been waiting almost 49 years to do something really stupid. whistle

Well.......I finally succeeded. Tried to remove some plug screws and couldn't get them to budge. Ruined 2 small screwdrivers. Figured I'd just take a hand drill and drill them out. Duh. Maybe it could work? Broke 2 drill bits and by that time I didn't care what happened as long as those screws came out.

Needless to say.....I will be sending it off to have the holes redrilled and tapped to 8-40. Talley Ltwts with 8-40's are already on the way.

Anybody recommend a good smith for this?

Can't recommend anybody, but I applaud your ability to wait 49 years. laugh
Haha. Really just the front hole is stripped out and the 2nd from front is maybe okay. The rears are fine. Of course I'd have to mess up the one that's hardest to get to without pulling the barrel.

But need to get it coated anyway. So I'll check and see if it can all be done at the same time.

49 years? I'm 53 and I haven't done anything stupid yet

today.
Where in texas are you?
Originally Posted by 257heaven

But need to get it coated anyway. So I'll check and see if it can all be done at the same time.

If your wanting it cerakoted or duracoated and needing the screw holes fixed then there's only one place I'd send it to. Eddie!
I was thinking Eddie F. I'm in LBK.

Smart move!
Use a bigger hammer
I notice that the Savage Axis w/0 sights has no plug screws. Also that the Weatherby Mk 5 has no sights but BRASS plug screws.
You would expect brass plug screws on a gun costing about 8 times more, i guess. If a gun has no open sights - why put plug screws into the receiver scope base holes? I have run into a few Rem. 700s with stuck base screws lately...

Thank you for doing business in blue state Michigan
I'm 64....thinking it's about time I told a lie. smile
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
49 years? I'm 53 and I haven't done anything stupid yet

today.
I know what you mean, I never lie and I don't make mistakes!
It didn't take me near that long to learn stupid. I just hope it's a long time between each stupid......
Try a butane torch next time and do the tap 'n twist with a small hammer and screw driver......
I got the stupid out of the way about 30 years ago, now I go really slow, but I am getting really old, so it works. Too many people are thinking epoxy, you don't need it unless it is your daughter's brand new model 30 Remington, then, I don't think so, I have to fix the darned thing.
Good luck
MC
Chad Dixon of Longrilfes Inc in Stugis, SD. Stand up guy who does top notch work.

He is running a group buy over on snipershide.com under the group buy section.
Yea. I already signed up to have Chad open them up to 8-40 and thread for a suppressor. But I initially found it because of you. Thanks for that. And thanks a whole [bleep] lot for instigating almost unlimited spending on my part for the other 3 I'll send to Chad with this one. laugh
Well I do what I can whistle

At least you can take comfort that I am sending one as well grin
Got her fixed.........in South Dakota!! 8-40 mount holes. Found the Talley Ltwt 8-40's on clearance.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire