Home
i was wondering what you guys are using for grease/anti seize compound for your barrel/action threads when intalling a new ss barrel. would any anti seize grease work ?
Thanks
IMO anything that will inhibit galling will work. I use the brownells anti seize but it is a nasty mess. When it is gone I am switching to high pressure grease.
How does that compare to C5-A?
Originally Posted by EddyBo
IMO anything that will inhibit galling will work. I use the brownells anti seize but it is a nasty mess. When it is gone I am switching to high pressure grease.

I know a guy that just uses CLP on AR's but I wouldn't reccomend that. He hasn't had one get stuck yet though. YMMV. I've used Permatex anti-sieze on AR's with no issues but I haven't done that many.
NAPA has anti seize compound that stinks like a swamp but so far it works well. Mel
Actually, I've been using red loctite of late. IT all depends on the rifle though.
this will be for a remington 700. i to was looking at the c5-a. i see the brownells stuff but it seems kinda spendy for something i can probaly pick up at NAPA and is likely the same stuff.
Teflon Pipe Dope.
I know a lot of guys use AeroShell 33 on their AR-15 barrel nuts.

I got a huge tube of it for 15 bucks - unless I win the lottery, I'll never build enough to use it all.
I use the Permatex Silver on all barrel threads. I use liberal amounts on stainless barrels going into stainless actions because of the galling nature of stainless to stainless contact.
Any good high pressure grease will work. I use a white grease called "Super Lube" just because it is clean. Chassis lube will work just as well. You need to be aware of the chemistry of whatever you use. Copper in any compound will kill your bluing salts. Some of the anti-seize compounds may contain some copper.

Clemson
I use a product called "Insted-a-Lead" which is a substitute for white lead lubricant. If, for some reason, I am going to blue with the barrel in place, I use a pipe thread sealant to exclude salts from the joint. GD
what would you recommend that i can buy local that will work well. is copper the only thing that i have to worry about that may effect bluing
Why not moly grease? The (synthetic) grease component is high pressure and the molybdenum disulphide particles additionally provide protection against steel-on-steel contact like the aluminum or copper or nickel particles in the usual anti-seize.
something like this grease from Autozone would work fine: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...grease/_/N-25ap?itemIdentifier=1436_0_0_

Clemson
I picked up a tube of Valvoline SynPower Synthetic Grease at NAPA for servicing the snow blower. Recommended by the manufacturer since it doesn't turn to glue in winter.

The stuff is moly loaded and looks and feels like Brownell's Action Lube II except with a little less moly. I've been using that tube for years whenever I wanted a lubricating grease for firearms including actions. No complaints and a whole lot cheaper per ounce than Action Lube.
I just use what we use on any big bolt -- Permatex or the CAT anti-seize. Anything is better than dry.
Originally Posted by BrentD
Actually, I've been using red loctite of late. IT all depends on the rifle though.

LOL
To answer the question, most anti-seize are fine. You can find them at you local auto parts store. Most will be a lithium / graphite compound.
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Why not moly grease? The (synthetic) grease component is high pressure and the molybdenum disulphide particles additionally provide protection against steel-on-steel contact like the aluminum or copper or nickel particles in the usual anti-seize.

A very good moly grease is probably the best thing to use. I have experimented and talked to a lot of barrelers and engineers. I think you can get carried away with the never seize products that have a high solids content.

I use a product called Molykote made by Dow-corning. One tube will last most guys a half a lifetime and it won't leach out. It has better EP qualities than any of the solid bearing anti-seizes.

http://www.skygeek.com/molykote-111-lubricant-silicone-150gm.html
for years I've used Mobil One synthetic grease..

one tub seesm to last forever

I use synthetic bicycle wheel bearing grease as I have a lot of it. I change my barrels on my BR barrels several times a year. I haven't had a problem.
© 24hourcampfire