Home
Posted By: AH64guy Cerakote Repair - 03/19/14
What are the limitations on "repairing" a Cerakote finish?

I've read, and been told, that light scratches and small chips can be patched, but anything larger is a recommended strip and redo of the entire item/area to be covered.

Example would be a coated barrel/action in a vise block, some minor marring, and a need to repair marks/chips from the blocks or wrench.

Check or hold?
Posted By: AH64guy Re: Cerakote Repair - 03/20/14
No opinions or experience?

This would on a heat finish coat, not the air-dry.

Thanks.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Cerakote Repair - 03/20/14
call Eddie and ask him

http://www.fosnaughcustoms.com/
Posted By: AH64guy Re: Cerakote Repair - 03/20/14
Thanks Bea, I was hoping to avoid bugging a master at work with a trivial question, but maybe the best route.
Posted By: Dixie_Rebel Re: Cerakote Repair - 04/01/14
AH64guy, that is an excellent question!

Please be sure to let us know what you find.
Posted By: kend Re: Cerakote Repair - 04/04/14
The book say's says you cannot recoat it, but they stencil the stuff so that doesn't add up. I buggered up a spot on one of my rifles that I was coating today and am going to recoat the entire barreled action over the cerakote just to see how it looks and holds up.
Posted By: Robert_White Re: Cerakote Repair - 04/05/14
Originally Posted by kend
The book say's says you cannot recoat it, but they stencil the stuff so that doesn't add up. I buggered up a spot on one of my rifles that I was coating today and am going to recoat the entire barreled action over the cerakote just to see how it looks and holds up.

Camo patterns are done in multiple coats ain't they? Like you said...

I would be interested in the answer to this one too.
Posted By: Offshoreman Re: Cerakote Repair - 04/06/14
Actually, Apache pilots are supposed to know everything so it's considered bad form to ask someone else how to do something smile
Posted By: Robert_White Re: Cerakote Repair - 04/10/14
Any difinitive answers???
Posted By: passport Re: Cerakote Repair - 04/11/14
I have talked to Karl about this in the past and his feelings are to re-do the entire part and not try and touch up.
Posted By: deadeyedan Re: Cerakote Repair - 04/11/14
Originally Posted by passport
I have talked to Karl about this in the past and his feelings are to re-do the entire part and not try and touch up.

This is one of the biggest reasons I use GunKote over CeraKote - you can touch up GunKote easily.
Plus there is no mixing.
Plus the gloss is not determined by the mix ratio (not easily repeated for a touch up).
Plus it dries to the touch before baking so it is much easier to handle.

I have seen the CeraKote tests claiming superiority over GunKote - I have also seen the exact opposite results showing GunKote superior using a different abrasion method.

I do either for customers and I have GunKote on all my personal weapons.

Talked with both at SHOT show and I will continue to use GunKote unless a customer insists on CeraKote.

Not looking for a pissing match - opinions very - just my 2 cents worth and after doing well over 100 guns. Your mileage may very.

Some guys like Savage and some guys like Remington both work and either will do the job.

Dan
© 24hourcampfire