Home
Posted By: Savuti Sako AV Bolt Guide Retainer Pin - 03/26/14
Have a 1985 vintage AV DL in 375 that uses the leaf spring to retain the guide rib.
The second spring has broken and I would like to get a more permanent fix in the form of the older style retainer pin.

Could anyone recommend a 'smith to tackle this? Would any of the forum 'smiths like to have a go?
Here's an internet pic of the type of pin I'm talking about, just to the rear of the rib retaining collar.

[Linked Image]

Thanks
Pete
If no one here will do the work shoot DocRocket a PM he knows someone who does that.
I hate to revive such an old thread but I'm interested to know of any gunsmiths that can do this to a Sako AV 375 with two collars. I spoke to a local gunsmith last week who said that since the guide rib is made of hardened steel they would have to soften it, then drill it, then re-harden it with a heat treat....that was enough to make me run for the door with my Sako bolt in hand.
The rib is not hard and installation of the pin is (a) not a big deal and (b) an almost mandatory fix. I started doing this in the early eighties and can't begin to guess how many I did. The job is best done in a milling machine with a 1/16 end mill. I am retired now but there must be a bunch of young guys who could do this. GD
Does anyone know of a smith in the Austin, TX area that will do the work? Or anyone I could ship it to?
© 24hourcampfire