Home
I'm looking into trying to put together my first "custom" rifle. It's going to be a .375 H&H. I'd like it stainless, and CRF.

Right now my options are SS Model 70 classic or Montana Rifleman.

I really like the look of Ruger actions, but they don't make a SS .375.

How about converting a SS Ruger long action? Can it be done without to much cost and extreme effort? What would need to be done: new bolt face,.... Is the action long enough to make the conversion easily?

Any input would be appreciated as I'm all new to this.

Thanks,
JCM
I'd go with the Winchester. It comes already set up for a .375 H&H. Most, like 997 out of 1000, work great, feed great and shoot from good to great right out of the box. IIRC I was looking at an on-line store and they cost somewhere in the mid to upper $600 range for the SS ones with the tupperware stock. You can shoot it as is or go any number of ways for a better stock. Take a plain factory Model 70, bed it in a McMillan stock and you have a right proper rifle for maybe $1,000 tops.

With the Ruger you'd have to start with a 7mm RM or .300 WM to get a proper bolt face but the action is not long enough for the .375 H&H. It can be converted to work, Dave Scovill wrote an article about his converted Ruger, but you have to find a gunsmith competent to do this. The finished product is going to cost WAY more than the Model 70 over the counter and then you have a converted action rifle that you will NEVER recoup your money from if you decide to sell it. Getting back to that "compenent gunsmith" - you had better make sure he is competent from the start or you will spend a lot of money and end up with a POS that is now ruined for converting back to any other belted magnum case. And a good smith means bucks.

The Montana is a good action and would make a rifle just as good as the Model 70, but you have to polish it, add the barrel and stock. You didn't state your budget but a MRC 1999 rifle is most likely going to run well over $1,000 by the time you get all done with it.

Back to the Ruger vs. Winchester - the Winchester has the better safety and a helluva lot better trigger. The Ruger is a great action but just can't touch a good Model 70. Especially when you'd have to do an iffy conversion on the Ruger and the Winchester comes from the factory already set up properly for the .375.
Thanks Jim.

What online store you were looking at? I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know.

Thanks,
JCM
if you are stuck on the Ruger action,...why not do a 375 Taylor?
Beat me to it- after my current project, which I wanted to be a 375 Taylor but is going to be a 7 Mag (gift for someone), My old mod 77 will likely become one.
Sound like something fun, fits a long action, and unusual enough to suit my desire to be different
I'm not stuck on the Ruger....just like the look of it. I'm sticking with the H&H for travel and ammo availability.

The Taylor sounds interesting, but for this I don't want something interesting.....just plain jane, effective, and available.

Thanks guys,
JCM
Go back and read David Scovilles article and he lays it out how to do it. I'm thinking of the same thing, I've already got the ruger with sights which is what I want, in 338WM. I believe he even tells who to ship it to for a rebore. questions pm me and I'll try to find the article and gunsmiths name for you.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Left-hand Ruger 77 converted from 7mm Rem Mag to 458 Lott, same length as 375 H&H.

Conversion was done by Bill Atkinson, Bill Ruger's right hand man for 20+ years.
I am the lucky fellow that ended up with Scovill's Ruger .375 and find it a wonderful rifle to use and carry. It is rapidly becoming my favorite .375. The work required is not difficult but would still be more expensive than an off the shelf stainless M-70. Unless we can persuade Ruger to build them.
As a lefty, I'm also very interested in the conversion. If right-handed, I'd go with a M70 or Mauser.

I just need to find a cheap left-handed Ruger 77 MarkII in stainless, and chambered in something magnum.

I had a lefty M70 Classic Super Express, but sold it. It were too pretty for me to hunt with. I need another 375H&H.
© 24hourcampfire