Home
Posted By: CJS 7mm to 6.5 creedmoor - 12/05/14
I'm new to long range shooting and any kind of gun smithing is over my head at this point. I have a Mauser in 7mm rem mag. I am wondering if I can convert it to a 6.5 crdmr. I was told it could be done with a new barrel.
Posted By: rosco1 Re: 7mm to 6.5 creedmoor - 12/05/14
Get a different donor with the correct bolt face,in a short action..Or buy a rifle in 6.5CM
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: 7mm to 6.5 creedmoor - 12/05/14
Use another rifle and a different receiver.
Posted By: drover Re: 7mm to 6.5 creedmoor - 12/05/14
What the other posters are saying is that spending money to build a long-range on the Mauser would be throwing money down a rat-hole. The Mauser has a slow lock time, the receiver is flexible and difficult to bed and triggers for competition shooting are hard to find.

You would be money ahead finding a good used rifle already chambered in your choice of calibers or buying a Savage benchrest rifle, they build a good entry level rifle for long range shooting. You would be money ahead going either of these routes.

drover
Posted By: Teal Re: 7mm to 6.5 creedmoor - 12/06/14
Originally Posted by drover
What the other posters are saying is that spending money to build a long-range on the Mauser would be throwing money down a rat-hole. The Mauser has a slow lock time, the receiver is flexible and difficult to bed and triggers for competition shooting are hard to find.

You would be money ahead finding a good used rifle already chambered in your choice of calibers or buying a Savage benchrest rifle, they build a good entry level rifle for long range shooting. You would be money ahead going either of these routes.

drover

Actually what they're saying is the bolt face on the receiver for the 7mm Rem mag is too big for the 6.5 Creedmoor and that regardless of any faults of the Mauser as a long range action - it would, at the least, need a new bolt in addition to the barrel.

Money wise, OP is better at the least, starting with a properly sized action/bolt face.
Posted By: CJS Re: 7mm to 6.5 creedmoor - 12/06/14
Great info, thanks for the help. The information given to me was possibly misunderstood. I will start from scratch, maybe one of these in 6.5 creedmoor.
Savage 11/111 long range hunter
Savage 12 long range precision
Posted By: rosco1 Re: 7mm to 6.5 creedmoor - 12/07/14
Might look into the Ruger American if you're looking to get into it cheap.

I'm not a savage fan, but have two friends with the savage LR in 6.5 creed, they are both very accurate rifles.

© 24hourcampfire